Older packages missing in repositories

Why are packages removed from the repositories?

For example in Index of /pub/rocky/9.3/BaseOS/x86_64/os/Packages/k/ there was once the kernel-5.14.0-362.8.1.el9_3.x86_64.rpm package, but now there is only the latest kernel package kernel-5.14.0-362.13.1.el9_3.x86_64.rpm.

That is the Rocky way; only keep the latest rather than adding more.

The 362.8.1 was the first kernel of 9.3 and the first versions do remain in Index of /pub/rocky/9.3/BaseOS/x86_64/kickstart/Packages/k/

But how can I then downgrade to a older version of a package?

This is not a useful response and does not help nor explain to the original poster why Rocky Linux 9 does not have the older packages.

This is unfortunately a quirk of the current build system we use for 9. See our wiki page here: Rocky Linux Repositories - Rocky Linux Wiki

To downgrade you can try to use the kickstart repositories as they are a snapshot. Alternatively, we keep older packages in koji. kernel | Package Info | Rocky Linux Build Service

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation and links.

we’re working to address, specifically, the ‘keep old versions around’ thing with a rewrite of the underlying storage for the build system which will be started on in earnest in 2024 (January :slight_smile: )

The other idea I have been thinking about is to add a search functionality to our build system for 9 (Peridot) which will allow folks to find specific builds they are looking for, in the meantime.

I definitely understand this pain point, and we’re working to try and alleviate it and fix it for good, in time.

2 Likes

I assumed that RL9 packages are build in Peridot. Now, I see this koji instance. Just out of interest; do you use both tools to generate packages/composes/repos for RL9?

Koji is used to build and compose for 8. Peridot is used to build and compose for 9. Koji is only used as a secondary storage/backup for 9, meaning no builds happen for 9 in koji.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.