NTFS support is not installed by default

Hello

i just installed Rocky , it looks fine , but i noted that NTFS support is not available by default , the NTFS packages are not installed and not available on the default Repositories :
Rocky Linux 8 - AppStream
Rocky Linux 8 - BaseOS
Rocky Linux 8 - Extras

i had to manually add ELrepo to install the required packages , and i am wondering why ? i mean what is the reason that those packages are not considered part of the common Extras - for example ?

because of that , the grub installer does not consider adding the Windows installation coexisting on the host to the Grub menu , thus disallowing the user to boot into his Windows box ! thus he will have to add NTFS support with the below packages :

[root@Galagar ~]# rpm -qa | grep -i ntfs
ntfs-3g-libs-2021.8.22-2.el8.x86_64
ntfs-3g-devel-2021.8.22-2.el8.x86_64
ntfsprogs-2021.8.22-2.el8.x86_64
ntfs-3g-2021.8.22-2.el8.x86_64
[root@Galagar ~]#

then use os-prober to confirm that it can see the Windows OS on NTFS partition , then follow it by
[root@Galagar ~]# grub2-mkconfig --output=/boot/grub2/grub.cfg
Generating grub configuration file …
Found Windows 10 on /dev/sda1
done
[root@Galagar ~]#

now reboot and check the new grub menu , confirm that you can boot into your Windows OS

Regards
Shareef

First, EPEL, not ELRepo.

Second, the grub.cfg is in /boot/grub2/ only if you still use legacy mode for booting. EFI mode has bootloaders in FAT32; in the EFI System Partition. I was confused when I had to install (CentOS 7) dual boot on legacy system, precisely due to the NTFS issue. The confusion must have been due to not having encountered the same issue in EFI systems. (In EFI system you don’t need entry in Grub menu at all; you can select bootloader in EFI.)

You need the NTFS support at most in dual boot, perhaps only legacy in dual boot setup. Things might change in future releases as upstream kernel got native NTFS support. How Windows NTFS finally made it into Linux • The Register

2 Likes

Thank you for the correction and for the comment
yes , i am running in legacy mode
i was just comparing that to other releases that have NTFS support included as a default , possibly because of their Desktop nature , thank you for the article as well