New Linux Distro

I am very disappointed with the sudden news from RedHat/CentOS. I am glad the community quickly started a distro. Way to go all!

I like it. It’s easy on the eyes.

Personally, I would stay away from Oracle as much as from IBM. They are both known for their good products and bullying attitude towards smaller projects.

1 Like

A long live the Rocky Linux !!

I’m retired now after a lifetime in marketing and brand promotion. We would pay multiple thousands for branding names on even low level products but the first agency to come up with the name “Rocky” would never see a contract from us again. If this name isn’t changed before the first release…

Since most people seem to agree that a different name should be chosen as a final one for this project, it might be useful to open a thread with new name suggestions, among which the project leaders might select a number (e.g. 3 to 5), and ask the community to vote.

This could be done in parallel (to technical/administrative work) so as to save time.

Some ideas: NGCOS (New Generation CentOS) or ProdOS (Production Server OS), SolidOS

Seems like a good idea. Since SolydXK already exists I guess that lets SolidOS out to avoid the inevitable confusion.

I too appreciate the reasoning behind the 'Rocky" tag but with the greatest of respect who else might and how many will care?

My pitch for something simple and with a definition that could apply is “RetroOS”.

What about REL, Rocky Enterprise Linux

Another name to consider: RexOS (from Rex = King in Latin) or REL (= Rex Enterprise Linux).

After all, CentOS has been a Rex in Open Source Enterprise Ecosystems! REL will build on the legend.

Personally, I find RexOS more attractive; no need to bind to RHEL as a name, as REL tends to imply!

:smile:

Yet, REL might be expanded to R* Enterprise Linux, where R is the first letter of any word one would desire to see (Rocky included)!

And yet another: RealEL (Real Enterprise Linux)

At first I was a stranger to “Rocky” but then I liked the name more and more. It is unique, emotionally charged and has a history. REL as acronym would still be possible…

3 Likes

I understand that Rocky Linux was named after the late Rocky McGaugh and giving an honor to the co-founder of CentOS. However, I am not sure I would name a commercial grade operating system “Rocky”. It doesn’t build confidence!

To close out this thread, the name will not be changing. Thank you for your input.

1 Like