NetworkManager-wifi in minimal iso

Hello, i try install minimal iso and i couldn’t connect wifi via nmcli and nmtui, i checked that the NetworkManager-wifi package is not installed in the minimal version, this is reported when “systemctl status NetworkManager” is called. If this is indeed the case, can we include this package in the minimum version, so that the installation of the system can continue on computers without an ethernet connection? If I’m wrong, I apologize.

1 Like

The minimal install is primarily the “Core” dnf group, which is the focus of that particular ISO. If you need wifi support post installation, you may want to try using another ISO, such as the boot image, DVD image, or any one of the live images. The boot image will require you to setup a network device to do an installation though and I personally have not tested it with wireless devices.

Last metadata expiration check: 2:00:29 ago on Sun 28 Aug 2022 07:04:23 AM MST.
Group: Core
 Description: Minimal host installation
 Mandatory Packages:
   audit
   basesystem
   bash
   coreutils
   cronie
   crypto-policies
   crypto-policies-scripts
   curl
   dnf
   e2fsprogs
   filesystem
   firewalld
   glibc
   grubby
   hostname
   iproute
   iproute-tc
   iputils
   irqbalance
   kbd
   kexec-tools
   less
   logrotate
   man-db
   ncurses
   openssh-clients
   openssh-server
   p11-kit
   parted
   passwd
   policycoreutils
   procps-ng
   rootfiles
   rpm
   rpm-plugin-audit
   rsyslog
   selinux-policy-targeted
   setup
   shadow-utils
   sssd-common
   sssd-kcm
   sudo
   systemd
   util-linux
   vim-minimal
   xfsprogs
   yum
 Default Packages:
   NetworkManager
   NetworkManager-team
   NetworkManager-tui
   authselect
   dnf-plugins-core
   dracut-config-rescue
   initscripts-rename-device
   iwl100-firmware
   iwl1000-firmware
   iwl105-firmware
   iwl135-firmware
   iwl2000-firmware
   iwl2030-firmware
   iwl3160-firmware
   iwl5000-firmware
   iwl5150-firmware
   iwl6000g2a-firmware
   iwl6050-firmware
   iwl7260-firmware
   kernel-tools
   libsysfs
   linux-firmware
   lshw
   lsscsi
   microcode_ctl
   prefixdevname
   python3-libselinux
   sg3_utils
   sg3_utils-libs
 Optional Packages:
   dracut-config-generic
   dracut-network
   initial-setup
   rdma-core
   selinux-policy-mls
   tboot

Thanks, I installed an alternative version with the environment, of course I would like to see NetworkManager-wifi in core, because many devices do not have ethernet and i love minimal images, but it’s clear that it depends on RHEL and dnf maintainers.

I ran into this with minimal installs of Rocky/Alma. Basically, I plugged into a wired connection on firsr boot, since there’s no simple way of just running dnf install NetworkManager-wife during installation, which I wish they would add, but it’s RedHat (We don’t care–we don’t have to).
Once that’s installed, upon another reboot, it will have the settings you made during install which is a time saver–that is, if you set up a wireless connection during installation, reboot and, using wired, install NetworkManager-wifi, upon the next reboot, it will use the settings from the install.

Sounds like a USB network adapter may come in handy for systems without a wired port. Many wired port systems are likely not to have wifi, so I understand why that isn’t part of the core…