Kernel panik in install rocky 9

Rocky Linux version 9.2 and version 9 is not installed in VMWare virtual machine and gives an error “kernel panic”

Most likely a CPU that doesn’t support x86_64-v2. You are running esx on old hardware? What version of esx?

I installed version 8.8 of Rocky Linux in this virtual machine and it works without problems.

VMware Workstation 12 Pro

Version 8 will work fine, because it doesn’t have the x86_64-v2 minimum requirements like Rocky 9 has. You need to check your CPU to make sure it has this support and if not, you are limited to using Rocky 8.

my system is :
Processor : Intel(R) Core™2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GHz 2.94 GHz
System type : 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

I’m pretty sure that CPU is too old, especially considering the kernel panic, you will only be able to run Rocky 8. For Rocky 9 you will need newer hardware.

I will test it with another hardware that has CPU i7 and let me know the result

I tested with newer hardware. But the same problem is still there. With CPU intel i7
Unfortunately .

Strange. Either this is something then to do with the VM configuration, or perhaps maybe try downloading the ISO again, or checking the shasums to make sure the ISO is downloaded correctly and not corrupt.

What VM template/operating system version did you choose when creating the VM in VMware Workstation? Maybe the VM template is causing this if not the ISO. Unfortunately I don’t use VMware so cannot help with that.

Rocky 9 should definitely work on an i7.

I downloaded all the ISO files. I tested it maybe 4 or 5 times. They have exactly the same problem

If you are sure that Rocky Linux 8 works, you should attempt to run this:

# /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 --help | grep x86-64-v
  x86-64-v4
  x86-64-v3
  x86-64-v2 (supported, searched)

This will tell you if your processor can support x86-64-v2 extensions, which is required for Rocky Linux 9.

test1

The output of the command is as above

Does the output of the command show that it is supported/or not?

That shows that your processor is not supported. If the processor was supported, you would see (supported, searched) as in my example output.

I ran this command on another system and the output showed that it supports version 2 and 3, but Rocky version 9 was not installed on that system either.

panic2

From my recent experience with a similar kernel panic on booting, I would suggest using Rocky 8. It is supported until 2029 anyway, which isn’t far behind Rocky 9.

If you can successfully run Rocky 8.8 as your screenshot shows and the hardware and virtual machine environment was the same as that which you used for your attempted Rocky 9.2 installation, then the cause is likely to be due to the CPU requirements.

I did quite a bit of testing on this myself in the past week. I found that Rocky 9.2 would run successfully on some earlier machines but not all. It ran successfully on an Intel Pentium G620 (from 2011/2012 for which it reports supporting x86-64-v2 — see below) but it wouldn’t run on an AMD of approximately the same age.

Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G620 @ 2.60GHz

[liveuser@localhost-live ~]$ /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 --help | grep x86-64-v
x86-64-v4
x86-64-v3
x86-64-v2 (supported, searched)

I tested with newer hardware. But the same problem is still there. With CPU intel i7
Unfortunately .