It is posible to Downgrade Rocky linux 9 to Rocky linux 8.6?

Hi, I want to use Maya 2023 on my computer, I see that it is not compatible with Rocky Linux 9 because it needs libraries that cannot be installed. I have been thinking if it would be possible to downgrade to Rocky linus 8.5 or if I would just have to do a new installation of the system.

The libraries or packages that i need are:
lsb-core
libpcre16
gamin

Downgrades are not possible. You will need to do a fresh installation of your system.

1 Like

ok.
I am new with Rocky.

is there much difference between version 8.5 and 9?

This is what I have at the moment

You will find differences in versions of packages, software, desktop (eg gnome is version 3), hardware, and so on. The only way to find out if it will work on your hardware is to try to install and see how the system operates. I cannot say definitively if your hardware will work on 8.

Note that Rocky Linux 8.5 is unsupported. It will have bugs and security issues that are addressed in the current version. Only the latest is supported. If Maya is locked to a specific version of Rocky, I would request them to support a newer version of Rocky Linux.

ok thank you. i will wait then.

Rocky 8 and Rocky 9 are two distinct distros, just like Windows 10 and Windows 11 are similar but definitely not the same.

I see what you mean, they’ve only listed Rocky Linux 8.5 as a validated OS. Looks like they haven’t updated their requirements past Sept 2022:

These kinds of application support questions might be best directed towards Autodesk support, but I suspect that if Rocky Linux 8.5 is supported with Maya 2023, then Rocky 8.7 should also work.

But yes, like others in the thread mentioned, you’ll have to fully reinstall the OS to move from Rocky 9 to Rocky 8:

https://docs.rockylinux.org/guides/8_6_installation/

Recent thread says no: Maya 2023 on Rocky 8.7

Good call. I reviewed the linked thread, you are 100% correct. Looks like something breaks somewhere in the transition from 8.5 to 8.7.

If the application is fragile and keeping the workstation stable is important, then treating the workstation like an appliance might be the best path forward.

Installing the vendor’s supported OS, verifying that the application is working, and turning off automatic security updates to make sure the underlying OS doesn’t change unexpectedly.

Unfortunately without security patches, @UnoCastillo would have to consider keeping the computer off the internet for security reasons.

It’s not an ideal trade off but this approach is common in environments like manufacturing where a specialized PC might need to stay in production for 10+ years.

well i hate to say this but i guess that when i have to use Maya i will use Win 11 (i have dual boot).

All my others apps works just fine in Rocky 9, Blender, Nuke, Houdini, etc etc etc.

I dont think that Maya it is going to work on this problem. So that it is how thing are.

1 Like

I would like to add to this thread,
Maya 2023.3 does support Rocky 8.7, the problem that I had was from a libmd.so file which was installed from an add-on for Gnome, this was not part of Rocky or RHEL, I tested Maya 2023.3 on a VM of Rocky 8.7 and once all it’s dep were installed it ran perfectly.

2 Likes

i wish someone can confirm this for rocky 9.1 aswell … :smiling_face_with_tear:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh…200% in same boat…

Maya can work in Rocky 9. Try installing qt5 first.

sudo dnf install qt5

Other things I did which may or may not be useful.

Installed nvidia drivers using the driver download from nvidia

I had to install the RPMs using this guide (I’m curious if the installer would work when qt5 is installed.)

https://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-E7E054E1-0E32-4B3C-88F9-BF820EB45BE5