Intel i219-LM Had Only Been Running At ~60% Of Maximum Speed Due To Linux Driver Bug

I dont know what to do… I installed Rocky Linux 9.x and i got problem with network card speed. Its only working at half speed. Cant go more than 500 mbit, it looks like something is limiting download speed to 50%… and yes i got 1gbps from my isp. Any suggestions?

Here is some info about OS:
Kernel: 5.14.0-284.30.1.el9_2.x86_64

Network:
Device-1: Intel Ethernet I219-V driver: e1000e
IF: ******** state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full

Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supported pause frame use: No
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Supported FEC modes: Not reported
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: No
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised FEC modes: Not reported
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Auto-negotiation: on
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: internal
MDI-X: on (auto)

What other tests have you done to isolate whether this is due to your card or driver?
As far as I know the 1000Mbit ISP service and 1000Mbit card capacity are potential speeds that you could achieve. Internet traffic is governed by bandwidth that is limited by other traffic and that can vary throughout the day. How many hops between source and destination also come into play. Using traceroute there are 9 intermediary data hubs between me and rockylinux.org.
500Mb seems pretty fast to me. On sites like dd-wrt I have seen tests showing speeds in the high 700’s but nothing higher than that.

I run speed test from specific location when i am sure i can get full gbps speed… there are 7 hops:
traceroute to ** (**), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 _gateway ** 1.110 ms 1.131 ms *
2 ** 13.808 ms 13.837 ms 13.813 ms
3 ** 18.877 ms
4 ** 14.794 ms
5 * * *
6 ** 14.644 ms 20.972 ms 23.321 ms
7 ** 3.248 ms 3.275 ms 3.197 ms

On previous OS witch was fedora 38 i was getting 1 gbps speed from that location… same network, same pc specs, only difrence is OS witch is rocky linux 9… as i wrote for me it looks like something is limiting that speed…

edit: it should be realted to this: Intel i219-LM Had Only Been Running At ~60% Of Maximum Speed Due To Linux Driver Bug

Any help with this bug?

Are you using the same speed test tool as you used in F38?

The kernel driver on F38 is based on a 6.5.5 kernel and rocky on a 5.14.0 kernel.

Tool is the same. Download location is from ftp. Sample file is 10gb of size

Last year there was some issue with I219-LM, but RL 9.1 reportedly did fix that: Bug in network driver
That can’t be fully true, if the bug mentioned by Phoronix is older than RHEL 9,
but I know for a fact that I219-LM [8086:1a1c] started to work clearly “better” with 9.1.
(“Better” as in “can transfer data” – no actual speedtest.)

If you simply wish to test a newer kernel, give ELRepo’s kernel-ml a try. It is currently at version 6.5.6.

You’re trying to verify a full 1-gig speed over a WAN connection?

WAN connections can vary wildly from day to day, regardless of whatever your ISP charges you for a certain claimed speed of service…

First things first, and to make your life much easier, eliminate all external variables – do a speed test on your internal network, against another (obviously gigabit-connected) host. Can you even get gigabit-equivalent speeds there?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.