I moved two more revenue sites, the site that I use for my personal email (there’s nothing on the one-page Web site except political memes), and a dedicated honeypot site over since yesterday.
The big real-life test I’m doing now is the email, especially the spam filtering. The ratio of spam to legit mail on my personal email address is about 10:1, so that will make a good test. So far, no spam has slipped through; and to my knowledge, there have been no false positives.
I’m doing “sea trials” with my own sites before moving clients onto the Rocky Linux / Virtualmin combination. That’s really what I’m testing – the combination of the two. So far, the glitches have been minor and not anything clients would notice, much less care about.
For example, I can’t move backup files between the new server and other Virtualmin servers that I own via the GUI. That may be due to non-standard SSH ports on all the servers. But it’s not something clients would be doing anyway, so I’m not too concerned. (Hell, even I never tried it until yesterday. I usually do that stuff in the shell.)
There also seems to be a bug in the Backblaze transport protocol on Virtualmin. I think it actually connects using the S3 protocols, which I haven’t had any success with using any panel. I just use
rclone. I suspect it will be fixed before long.
There’s also another glitch when creating more than one alias to a domain: You have to click on the dashboard in between making aliases. I doubt anyone will even notice that one; and if they do, the workaround is easy.
As for the mail, the default Virtualmin setup using Postfix and Dovercot worked perfectly on Rocky Linux. It worked right out of the box. I did nothing other than set up rDNS and add some custom rules to SpamAssassin.
ConfigServer firewall works fine. (It does need
phpMyAdmin and Roundcube work fine using the Virtualmin install script.
Awstats works fine.
Webalizer works fine.
The status monitors, service controls, and all the other GUI interfaces to
systemctl work fine.
I haven’t installed the filtering plugin to Roundcube because filtering is available in Usermin using
procmail, and I don’t know if I want to run
sieve on the same server.
In a nutshell, everything important works fine. If I had to onboard clients today, I’d feel pretty comfortable about it. The few glitches are trivial and likely will be fixed anyway before long.
By the way, the reason I’m posting this is because Rocky Linux is relatively new, and Virtualmin isn’t as popular as it deserves to be. Consequently, there’s very little information out there about the Rocky Linux / Virtualmin combination. I figure I may as well share my observations for others who might be interested.