How to update firewalld outside of upstream

Hey all, I’m hoping you can advise on my situation. I’m running into an issue where I can’t install Jellyfin on my Rocky Linux 9 server due to a conflict with the current upstream firewalld version. There have been versions of firewalld released since RL9 that resolve this issue, but I can’t figure out what would be the best/most responsible way to update firewalld outside of the normal upstream repo.

Should I build from source and install? Is there a secondary repo that I could enable that would allow this to be installed via DNF?

What’s the exact issue that you’re having? Building from source or installing versions of any package outside of the scope of Rocky Linux is unsupported and not recommended.

If this is related to the jellyfin.xml file provided by our package, while this is not recommended either you can use --replacefiles if you are installing via the rpm command. That would get around that particular issue.

1 Like

Another option would also be to wait until 9.2 has dropped, because that removes this file form firewalld, as hinted in this issue from the jellyfin project.

1 Like

If this is related to the jellyfin.xml file provided by our package, while this is not recommended either you can use --replacefiles if you are installing via the rpm command. That would get around that particular issue.

Yes, this is the issue I’m dealing with. Sorry, I should have clarified that initially. I saw a suggestion like that to use --replacefiles but I kind of figured just updating the offending package would be the more responsible way to handle things.

Another option would also be to wait until 9.2 has dropped, because that removes this file form firewalld, as hinted in this issue from the jellyfin project.

Yes, I might end up doing that, though I can’t find a release date for 9.2. According to this wiki it looks like it could drop this month, is that correct?

Yes, I might end up doing that, though I can’t find a release date for 9.2. According to this wiki it looks like it could drop this month, is that correct?

As giving ETAs will bite everyone again, soon, maybe very soon, but soon.
The RHEL 9.2 GA news just dropped.

1 Like

Haha “again”? Oh no…

Well, knowing that it could be this month, I will likely just wait to set up Jellyfin so I can ensure it’s done properly. Thank you both for your input on this, I really appreciate it!

1 Like

I run most of my services as containers using Podman on Rocky Linux 9.1, Jellyfin being one of them and it run great so that would also be an option for you.