How To Make Community Bigger?

How to make this Rocky Linux community bigger? I’m lucky that I know Rocky Linux from Google. Because I’m really upset with Centos new policy. But many people out there not knowing what happen with Centos. Any Idea how to make Rocky Linux Popular?

The way to be popular is to develop a quality product. RHEL, CentOS has been popular primarily because it has a reputation for functionality and stability.

There’s a Jewish restaurant in Indianapolis called Shapiro’s Delicatessen with a hundred-year heritage. They post their motto on their sign, “Cook good. Serve plenty. People will come.”

That’s a good recipe for success and popularity, no matter what the product. Commit to doing a good job in development and support and Rocky will be the distribution of choice for many administrators and users. We’ve already “hit the ground running.” :meat_on_bone:

3 Likes

Quality thoughts, Dax. I am hopeful and optimistic that the founding mission will come to fruition. I need it both personally, and professionally.

1 Like

In addition to functionality and stability I think a few more spices are needed in this kitchen.
First of all, I mean reliable documentation such as, how-to and good and tested examples.

My team and I use CentOS as the basic OS for database development, commonly PostgreSQL (including HA, CitusData …), MySQL, and more recently MS-SQL solutions.

I suggest creating HOW-TO pages that will clearly and accurately show the installation and configuration of different databases with possible results of speed testing, CPU and RAM usage….
Also installation and configuration of various Python, PHP, R, Rubi, .NET Core, apache, nginx …

1 Like

That’d be fine to have tested examples that would work for those who need an assist. Well-meaning folks have tried to walk me through some sticky operations but it seldom went smoothly. There were either hardware chipset differences, variables or parameter settings that caused the procedure to fail.
Often the operations couldn’t be repeated on another device or on a differently configured system so the examples offered little value to the folks who were in need of help.
On the other hand, if documented examples could be tried, tested and proven in various typical environments, then they could be invaluable assets to those who would be initially trying Rocky Linux.
It’d be good to ask several volunteers to follow the documented examples on their own systems and report back with any problems that they might have encountered so we could do refinements if necessary.
If it turned out that everyone needed a unique instruction to install and configure their equipment, then effective documentation would be difficult. But - if we could come up with general procedures that worked for most people, then it would be a worthy addition.

Thanks for your thoughts on documentation. The folks working on documentation on Mattermost share a lot of these thoughts and I think it would be great if you could join in on their efforts!

This is THE way to do it.

Also, most of the time:

>>> bigger != better
True
1 Like

Community members, I have been referred to Rocky as we use CentOS and with a view of attaining Cyber Essentials Plus we need to ensure our OS is up to date.

This may mean bowing down to CentOS 8 for a short while but I took the step of looking into Rocky Linux.

Now I applaud you all for your efforts but I fear you are missing out the humble infrastructure engineers (like myself) who labour (yes UK spelling) enough without time to delve into the intricacies of how to get the best from this resource.

Apologies for appearing to be a luddite martyr but there is a lot of reference to GIT which from experience of our developers I work with, I understand the basics but for those who just want a basic OS from download, deploy and patch monthly this is a science some of us avoid.

For example, in the early 90’s I did some 45 minute courses in C with “Hello world” produced as an output, the next step from that code to full on C programmer was some kind of lost science. There was a gap from Zero to Hero (still true to this day).

I fear the worse for this project and feel there needs to be a basic thread for not just newbies for some of us retards too old or set in our ways to apprehend what to do with regards to this distro (which is to be applauded).

It would be welcomed for a “Start Here” for us less fortunate to have time, enthusiasm or brain cells. Are we leeching? Most probably but to avoid Rocky becoming a secular cult (like the picture show) I urge someone to take up the reigns to promote the project to us neanderthals.

Thanks for reading, I must now patch my knuckles after dragging them on the floor for the past 15 minutes.

1 Like

What made a lot of people switch to Ubuntu from Debian apart from a great product was the tutorials and help available. If rocky wants to become big then this community needs to be more about the people using it than just about the people working on it.

Just wait. It’s going to get a WHOLE LOT BIGGER in about a month!

Not one like after all this time (and effort to type)…

Howdy. Thanks for your earlier comment. You are not the only one to have these concerns about RL.

I have recently stepped into the community engagement role for Rocky Linux, which includes looking at ways to improve the “getting started” experience based on feedback like this. Hopefully in the coming months you will start to see changes.

Meantime, I just want to make sure you have discovered our documentation tree: https://docs.rockylinux.org/ which is being worked on and added to every day. And also our chat server, which is a more immediate way to get help troubleshooting an install or just asking basic questions: https://chat.rockylinux.org/rocky-linux/channels/town-square.

We definitely want Rocky to be available to all levels of users. Thanks again for reaching out with your concerns.