GNOME Terminal, XRDP, Microsoft Remote Desktop on Mac and Super/Command key

I’m having a weird issue here, and any and all help is appreciated.

We’re running a fairly stock Rocky Linux 9.3 installation, with the graphical target enabled. We’ve also installed XRDP, and are accessing the desktop from MacBook Airs via Microsoft Remote Desktop (for Mac.)

Everything works fine, except a key functionality, which is copy and paste in GNOME Terminal via Mac’s copy/paste, which is Command aka. Super + C or + V.

Super is recognized fine in GNOME, if I press Super+V in a stock GNOME, it brings up Notifications (in GNOME). If I inspect keyboard input with xev, it also shows that Super (left or right) is being pressed.

The problem is, that in GNOME Terminal, Super is being seen as Control. As such, I can configure Command/Super C/V as copy paste, and it works as expected from Mac, but that overrides Ctrl+C, which is rather important when working in a shell.

If I sit down at the physical PC that hosts Rocky Linux 9, Super works fine and as expected.

I can’t quite figure out whether I should dig into GNOME Terminal or into Microsoft Remote Desktop to find the answer.

I stopped using the Mac RDP client long ago, and I only use Remmina from a Fedora box to use RL boxes via XRDP and the Windows RDP client to talk to Windows servers, but I found something that could be useful at:

An excerpt:

Use a keyboard in a remote session

Mac keyboard layouts differ from the Windows keyboard layouts.

• The Command key on the Mac keyboard equals the Windows key.
  • To perform actions that use the Command button on the Mac, you will need to use the control button in Windows (for example Copy = Ctrl+C).
  • The function keys can be activated in the session by pressing additionally the FN key (for example, FN+F1).
  • The Alt key to the right of the space bar on the Mac keyboard equals the Alt Gr/right Alt key in Windows.

By default, the remote session will use the same keyboard locale as the OS you’re running the client on. (If your Mac is running an en-us OS, it will be used for the remote sessions as well.) If the OS keyboard locale is not used, check the keyboard setting on the remote PC and change it manually. See the Remote Desktop Client FAQ for more information about keyboards and locales.

Using Remmina, doing copy/paste requires using ctrl+shift+c to do copy and ctrl+shift+v to do paste in Terminal. It might be a preference setting in the MS RDP client.

1 Like

I think I figured it out. Under the “global” settings in Microsoft Remote Desktop for Mac, there’s a tickbox named “Use Mac shortcuts for copy, cut, paste and select all, undo and find”. If you untick that, Command+C will become Super+C instead of Ctrl+C in GNOME.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.