Front Panel Audio Not Working

My Gigabyte Z690 AERO G motherboard has a realtek alc4080 codec.

This seems to be relevant: 20.04 - Realtek® ALC4080 Codec Front Jack doesn't work - Ask Ubuntu

If I run the following, I can hear the test sound through the headphone jack:

aplay -D plughw:Audio,1 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav

The latest version of alsa-ucm-conf is v1.2.8. The Rocky library has version 1.2.7.2

If I look at the latest verion https://github.com/alsa-project/alsa-ucm-conf/blob/master/ucm2/USB-Audio/USB-Audio.conf, I seen more entries for realtek-alc4080 have been added. The conf has the Gigabyte Z590 but not the Z690 Intel Chip. I see other vendors with the Z690 Intel Chip.

Is ALSA what is controlling the sound? I’m trying to figure out which layer the issue is at.

I’m not sure if this related, but the optical output does not work either. I can hear the test sound with the optical port using:

play -D plughw:Audio,2 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Left.wav

That’s very different to what I see on the viglen, possibly due to “usb” vs “pci”.

viglen
ls /proc/asound/card0
codec#0  eld#2.0  eld#2.2  eld#2.4  eld#2.6  eld#2.8  pcm0c  pcm10p  pcm3p  pcm8p
codec#2  eld#2.1  eld#2.3  eld#2.5  eld#2.7  id       pcm0p  pcm2c   pcm7p  pcm9p

on the viglen, it has ‘codec#0’ which I believe is related to the jack sensing.

I found a simple command that can be used to see the jack sensing in action, it works (as standard user) on both Rocky 8.x and 9.x

First check the card number

aplay -l

then use ‘hw:x’, where ‘x’ is the card number, in this case ‘card0’.

alsactl monitor hw:0

there should now be a blinking cursor. Plug and unplug all the jacks, e.g. using headphones and mic, and note the output. Testing on two different machines, I can instantly see the jack sensing in the console output.

The problem was Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) did not recognize my motherboard had the realtek alc4080 chip.

Here is my ALSA post: Front Audio (Headphone) and Optical Not Working in Rocky Linux 9

Here was the response and suggested fix: Front Audio (Headphone) and Optical Not Working in Rocky Linux 9

Here is the details of how I fixed: Front Audio (Headphone) and Optical Not Working in Rocky Linux 9