/dev/mapper/rl-root?

Hello Everyone,
I am a noobie to Rocky Linux which is running as my web server, I have just noticed this /dev/mapper/rl-root which is now running at 75%? Is this something I need to worry about?

Does it need to be increased and not sure why it was installed at 70G if it fills up so quickly? Also, what does it actually do please?

Thanks

Bossman

That’s your disk partition so namely the / partition. So yeah it’s important. You can use:

df -h

to check disk space available/used. An example from my Rocky system:

[root@rocky ~]# df -h

Filesystem                Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vgrocky-root   39G   13G   24G  34% /
/dev/vda2                 488M  207M  247M  46% /boot
/dev/vda1                 511M  5.7M  506M   2% /boot/efi

with the tmpfs ones filtered out to make it easier and clearer to see. I think you need to check your server and find out where all the space is going. It could either be normal usage, or some other rogue stuff going on.

Ahhhh I see this is my output

So, what would you suggest I do with it? As if it gets full I don’t want it to cause issues with the server. I came from CentOS 7 not sure if I saw that in there when I had it installed.

You have LVM in use, which is the default for installer in both CentOS 7 and Rocky 8.
The installer has created VG named β€œrl” and LVs β€œroot”, β€œhome”, and (probably) β€œswap”.
The β€œrl-root” is thus LV β€œroot” in VG β€œrl”.

What is important here is what does consume space on your root volume. A typical installation, even with GUI, does not consume 52G. Far from it.

You can ask:

sudo du -d1 -xh /

On my workstation setup I get this output:

$ sudo du -d 1 -xh /
16K	/lost+found
76K	/tmp
4.0K	/.cache
4.0K	/srv
8.0K	/mnt
37M	/etc
1.4G	/var
1.2G	/opt
8.0K	/media
9.0G	/usr
340M	/root
12G	/

You can start thinking what to do when you know what consumes space now.

1 Like

This is what i have got after running that command

Ok, so I have apache server and nginx running as a proxy and I have automated nightly backup of all sites to a second hard drive, not sure if any of these would cause it to fill up?

Ok, you have big /mnt. You can go one step deeper into it with du -d1 -xh /mnt.

You screenshots (btw, I really dislike use of bitmap images when copy-paste is possible) do not show any β€œsecond drive”.

The /mnt has my secondary backup drive :-/

Not by what you have shown.
Commands (other than β€˜df’) that show β€œdisks”:

lsblk
findmnt

You have most likely forgotten to mount the second hard drive. If you do mount it now to β€˜/mnt’, it will hide the files that are under β€˜/mnt’ on the β€˜/’ volume. Therefore, you have to clean/move them before mounting.

Actually, I don’t mount anything directly to /mnt, but rather create mount points under it, for example: /mnt/backup
That way I can mount multiple disks simultaneously without creating mount points elsewhere.

[root@server ~]# lsblk
NAME        MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda           8:0    0 465.8G  0 disk
β”œβ”€sda1        8:1    0     1G  0 part /boot
└─sda2        8:2    0 464.8G  0 part
  β”œβ”€rl-root 253:0    0    70G  0 lvm  /
  β”œβ”€rl-swap 253:1    0   7.9G  0 lvm  [SWAP]
  └─rl-home 253:2    0 386.9G  0 lvm  /home
sdb           8:16   0 465.8G  0 disk
sr0          11:0    1  1024M  0 rom
[root@server ~]# findmnt
TARGET                                SOURCE              FSTYPE      OPTIONS
/                                     /dev/mapper/rl-root xfs         rw,relatime,attr2,inode64,logbufs=8,logbsize=32k,noquota
β”œβ”€/sys                                sysfs               sysfs       rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
β”‚ β”œβ”€/sys/kernel/security              securityfs          securityfs  rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
β”‚ β”œβ”€/sys/fs/cgroup                    tmpfs               tmpfs       ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755
β”‚ β”‚ β”œβ”€/sys/fs/cgroup/systemd          cgroup              cgroup      rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,release_agent=/usr/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd
β”‚ β”‚ β”œβ”€/sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset           cgroup              cgroup      rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset
β”‚ β”‚ β”œβ”€/sys/fs/cgroup/devices          cgroup              cgroup      rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices
β”‚ β”‚ β”œβ”€/sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event       cgroup              cgroup      rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event
β”‚ β”‚ β”œβ”€/sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio cgroup              cgroup      rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio
β”‚ β”‚ β”œβ”€/sys/fs/cgroup/freezer          cgroup              cgroup      rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer
β”‚ β”‚ β”œβ”€/sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct      cgroup              cgroup      rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct
β”‚ β”‚ β”œβ”€/sys/fs/cgroup/pids             cgroup              cgroup      rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids
β”‚ β”‚ β”œβ”€/sys/fs/cgroup/rdma             cgroup              cgroup      rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,rdma
β”‚ β”‚ β”œβ”€/sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb          cgroup              cgroup      rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb
β”‚ β”‚ β”œβ”€/sys/fs/cgroup/blkio            cgroup              cgroup      rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio
β”‚ β”‚ └─/sys/fs/cgroup/memory           cgroup              cgroup      rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory
β”‚ β”œβ”€/sys/fs/pstore                    pstore              pstore      rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime
β”‚ β”œβ”€/sys/fs/bpf                       bpf                 bpf         rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=700
β”‚ β”œβ”€/sys/kernel/tracing               none                tracefs     rw,relatime
β”‚ β”œβ”€/sys/kernel/debug                 debugfs             debugfs     rw,relatime
β”‚ β”‚ └─/sys/kernel/debug/tracing       tracefs             tracefs     rw,relatime
β”‚ └─/sys/kernel/config                configfs            configfs    rw,relatime
β”œβ”€/proc                               proc                proc        rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hidepid=2
β”‚ └─/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc          systemd-1           autofs      rw,relatime,fd=39,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=20407
β”‚   └─/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc        binfmt_misc         binfmt_misc rw,relatime
β”œβ”€/dev                                devtmpfs            devtmpfs    rw,nosuid,size=3939016k,nr_inodes=984754,mode=755
β”‚ β”œβ”€/dev/shm                          tmpfs               tmpfs       rw,nosuid,nodev
β”‚ β”œβ”€/dev/pts                          devpts              devpts      rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000
β”‚ β”œβ”€/dev/mqueue                       mqueue              mqueue      rw,relatime
β”‚ └─/dev/hugepages                    hugetlbfs           hugetlbfs   rw,relatime,pagesize=2M
β”œβ”€/run                                tmpfs               tmpfs       rw,nosuid,nodev,mode=755
β”‚ β”œβ”€/run/user/0                       tmpfs               tmpfs       rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=791720k,mode=700
β”‚ β”œβ”€/run/user/1000                    tmpfs               tmpfs       rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=791720k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000
β”‚ └─/run/user/1003                    tmpfs               tmpfs       rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=791720k,mode=700,uid=1003,gid=1003
β”œβ”€/boot                               /dev/sda1           xfs         rw,relatime,attr2,inode64,logbufs=8,logbsize=32k,noquota
└─/home                               /dev/mapper/rl-home xfs         rw,relatime,attr2,inode64,logbufs=8,logbsize=32k,noquota

That looks like the other disk. lsblk should tell a bit more.

You were 100% right thank you, I mounted the drive wrong. Now I have done it correctly my
/dev/mapper/rl-root has gone down to 17% now. Thank you very much for your help

Sounds like a ton of stuff was copied to /mnt when the second disk hadn’t been mounted there. I would try unmounting it again and checking the command again to see if it reports 41GB usage again. If so, then you are going to have to move the content out of /mnt, then mount the drive properly, and then copy across what was previously in /mnt if you need it.

1 Like

You have now 58G free on the β€˜/’? Nice.

1 Like

Yeah, thank you once again :grinning: