After Rocky8 is upgraded to Rocky9. How to use the new network card configuration

After Rocky8 is upgraded to Rocky9. How to use the new network card configuration
After upgrading. It still uses the/etc/sysconfig/network scripts file
So I use the following command to activate the new configuration file
nmcli connection load /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/eno1.nmconnection
nmcli connection up /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/eno1.nmconnection
However, after restarting the system, it was found that it still used the old configuration file.
Because I have many servers. And the others are newly installed rocky9. So I need them to use the same configuration file.
How can I make this server use the new network card configuration file after restart

:sweat_smile:

First a note: there is no officially supported method to in-place convert Rocky8 into Rocky9.
Or, in other words: If it breaks, then you can keep the pieces.

In EL7 and EL8 the NetworkManager has additional config (by Red Hat) that makes it use the legacy config files. EL9 does not have that. Could that piece of config linger in your systems? If yes, clean it out.

If you nmcli con add ..., then where does that get saved? Ensure that it goes to right place.

Logically, I would remove all existing connections first and then create new connections.
(Obviously, if you do the configuration remotely, then you run the risk of losing admin connection … )

As you said. The server is leased. I’m going to test it with my home server. Directly delete the configuration file. if possible. I’ll test it on the server I rented. We should know the result tomorrow

This is good news. I created eno1.nmconnection manually. After activation. Directly delete the configuration file in/etc/sysconfig/network. After restart. The new network card configuration file takes effect automatically. thank you

Just one more thing to check would be to ensure you don’t have any EL8 packages left installed:

rpm -qa | grep -i el8

if you do then they can be uninstalled, since you are on EL9 now and they are just leftovers or potential packages not removed or related to other uninstalled dependencies.

There is no problem now. See so many useless software being deleted. Feel relaxed all over
:100:

I’m using Linode for my remote server and when I want to do something “scary”, I clone my VM onto a new VM (about 25 cents an hour), upgrade, then if anything breaks, I can throw away the copy. Otherwise, I can delete the old one and put the new one into service. Piece of mind for less than a dollar! :smiley: See if the service you rent your server from provides that kind of hourly billing and the ability to quickly roll a test server and delete it.

2 Likes