Adding SystemWide Gnome Extension not working

Hey!
I’m currently on Rocky 8.5/Gnome3.32.2.

So I’m trying to install some gnome extensions for all users in /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions/ but they don’t show up in Gnome Tweaks afterward (Even after Alt+F2 r and/or Reboot).
But if I install the exact same extensions in my ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/ , I can see them in Gnome Tweaks (Only for my user obviously)…

Am I missing something?

But you don’t say which extension, or how you tried to install it? In general, you have to use the extensions in the Rocky repos, and they don’t always align with tweaks.

I tried it with 2 extensions: dash-to-panel and arc-menu.
I did the manual installation process (which is downloading the ZIP from https://extensions.gnome.org/), extract them in ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/ and rename their folders for their UUID name.
From there the extensions work perfectly (And I see them in Gnome-Tweaks). No problem there

But doing the exact same but in /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions for SystemWide installation is doing absolutely nothing.

The extension called ‘arc-menu’ says it’s not maintained and has been archived, but anyway, can you check against other extensions in:
/usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions
and see if they have a ‘gschema’ file in
/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas

The extensions do have schemas file that I copied in /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas and ran glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/. But that makes only dconf understands the extension. Users cannot see them and enable them as they wish in Gnome Tweaks afterward.

Im just wondering what’s the actual difference between User extensions installation and SystemWide Extensions installation.

I’m thinking of putting them in /etc/skel so everytime a new user is created on the system, extensions will be copied in their ~/.local/share/ folder. But this seems more of an hack instead of an actual solution.

Any Idea anyone? I cannot find any information about the difference between SystemWide/User extension installation so I cant install them seamlessly for new machines…

I think it would be enough to just drop it in /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions directory. You would have to check/test it though, since I don’t use Gnome, and I haven’t installed extensions globally since Gnome 2. I usually just find/enable extensions in Cinammon from the GUI.

As per the Gnome docs: Enable machine-wide extensions