Svn server installation

HI , Just wish to know svn server installation steps on rocky9.
also can we migrate the backup taken from svn server repos of centos6 to rocky9?
if yes , please share any process or document.

Sincerely, its some kind of rude to ask others to make the job.
I would suggest that you show us what you have done and maybe we can help you.
EL6 uses subversion 1.6, EL9 provide 1.14 - so, I would read first the documentation of subversion regarding this topic/migration.

A lot of this information can be found by googling “install svn server linux”, or “migrate svn server to another machine” for example.

How to install: Simple guide to install SVN on Linux : Apache Subversion - LinuxTechLab

How to migrate: Moving a Subversion Repository to Another Server

SVN is not specific to Rocky, or any other distro for that matter. Installation steps vary, be it using yum/dnf or apt/apt-get in Debian/Ubuntu. Therefore, even if the steps aren’t specifc to EL Linux with yum/dnf you can pretty much adapt any of the information you find by using yum/dnf commands instead (assuming package names don’t change).

And then what you do is test those procedures and see if it works. If it doesn’t, then that is the point you should be posting and asking on forums, rather than expecting someone to Google for you or tell you how to do it.

Learning by searching and trial an error is how you improve your knowledge and find out how to restore/recover/migrate your system :slight_smile:

hi Walker

Thanks for the reply

i try to search websvn similar tool for subversion for redhat9/rocky9 .
i didnt find anything , is anything available at the moment? to manage access of subversion?

No, you would have to build it yourself using the Fedora src rpm and using mock. Or ask EPEL to add it to their repo. See: EPEL Package Request :: Fedora Docs

Another alternative, download it from here: GitHub - websvnphp/websvn: Fork from WebSVN extract it to /var/www and use Apache/Nginx with PHP to use websvn - then a package doesn’t need to be provided by EPEL, or have you build it yourself. If you don’t know how to install it that way, you need to look at websvn documentation: Documentation

The “Simple quide to install …” linked above shows that one controls access by configuring Apache appropriately.

First websearch hits for ‘webdav’ describe it as “view to subversion data”, which implies that one could have at least two views – the webdav and the websvn – and each probably has its own access controls.

hi Walker thanks for the reply.
hi i am trying to configure the svnadmin on rocky9 by following the below URL
http://svnadmin.insanefactory.com/documentation/#installation-version-stable

on rocky9 we have php8 installed by default.
PHP 8.0.30 (cli) (built: Aug 3 2023 17:13:08) ( NTS gcc x86_64 )
Copyright (c) The PHP Group
Zend Engine v4.0.30, Copyright (c) Zend Technologies
with Zend OPcache v8.0.30, Copyright (c), by Zend Technologies

when i try to browse the folder.i received errror as
Wrong PHP version. The minimum required version is: 5.3

can we install php5.3 on rocky9 ?

No. php 5.3 is horribly end of life and it should be avoided at all costs. If the error is saying minimum of 5.3 is required and it fails with 8.0, that is an issue with the software you have installed/configured.

1 Like

hi i walker

thanks for reply.
i tested this websvn , and its working as per document.
but this websvn doesnt have a feature of creating users and access , it just use existing access files for login .
can you please suggest for this ?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.