Stop system from continually trying removable disk mentioned in crypttab and fstab

(RL 8.7)

I have

]# cat /etc/crypttab
extBU UUID=a2db87ae-f16e-485c-bc7a-7f46fe928b8f  none nofail,x-systemd.device-timeout=10
extBU UUID=2222bbf7-7055-4277-b57e-82b94cea5b0f  none nofail,x-systemd.device-timeout=10

and

]# cat /etc/fstab
LABEL=extBU /extBU xfs nofail,user,x-systemd.device-timeout=10 0 0

So that when I insert one of the drives it sees the uuid, labels it extBU and mounts it at /extBU

All good except it keeps checking for it when not there. I thought once the timeout was up it’d forget about it and just use the info when inserted.

I get the following;

]# cat /var/log/messages | grep 'extBU.mount: Job extBU.mount/start failed with result' | tail
Feb 28 17:34:23 wsa systemd[1]: extBU.mount: Job extBU.mount/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Feb 28 17:34:36 wsa systemd[1]: extBU.mount: Job extBU.mount/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Feb 28 17:34:58 wsa systemd[1]: extBU.mount: Job extBU.mount/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Feb 28 17:35:09 wsa systemd[1]: extBU.mount: Job extBU.mount/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Feb 28 17:37:31 wsa systemd[1]: extBU.mount: Job extBU.mount/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Feb 28 17:40:11 wsa systemd[1]: extBU.mount: Job extBU.mount/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Feb 28 17:50:15 wsa systemd[1]: extBU.mount: Job extBU.mount/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Feb 28 17:55:15 wsa systemd[1]: extBU.mount: Job extBU.mount/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Feb 28 17:58:15 wsa systemd[1]: extBU.mount: Job extBU.mount/start failed with result 'dependency'.
Feb 28 18:00:15 wsa systemd[1]: extBU.mount: Job extBU.mount/start failed with result 'dependency'.

(the first few are during boot when you’d expect it)

Any ideas how to keep the functionality I have and stop it from polling for the drive ? ( i tried noauto in both files but it still polls )

TBH noauto should be enough.

Do you have something under /etc/systemd/system called exBU.mount which is being used by systemd? If so I would suggest disabling/removing that file to stop systemd from using it, and also edit the entried to remove the systemd timeout. If not under /etc/systemd, perhaps it’s been placed elsewhere, /usr/lib/systemd/ or /lib/systemd? Your logs seem to suggest that systemd is automatically mounting it.

I’ve never used the method of creating files for systemd to use it, and just used noauto in fstab, and it was enough always. This link hints at the stuff I mentioned: linux - how to disable systemd auto unmount of manually mounted partitions - Super User

Yes, noauto did do it.

I think what happened was I added it to crypttab and restarted but then added it to fstab and did a “mount -a” thinking that made the current fstab entries current.

Since did a restart with noauto in both and all looks to be solved now.

1 Like