Rocky Linux 8.4 Available Now

(for others - here is the stanza from the download page…)

or (c) for use in connection with the design, development or production of nuclear, chemical or biological weapons, or rocket systems, space launch vehicles, or sounding rockets, or unmanned air vehicle systems.

I know it sounds rather facetious but it’s kinda a real question.

The way it’s worded places like Boeing or SpaceX or NASA or many universities wouldn’t be able to download/use the software as they are either big and far-reaching enough, or focussed enough, to do some or all of the items in ‘c’. So would a hobbyist rocket club in a high school or the like.

And yes I did notice the CentOS wording is identical, but I see Oracle words their export compliance more along the lines of just the ‘a’ and ‘b’ part which is pretty typical Export Compliance and doesn’t seem to have the section ‘c’ limitations in a casual reading.

I guess I’m not understanding section ‘c’ at all. It doesn’t seem to be remotely related to Export Compliance at all. Seems like it’s trying to enforce some political constraints for some reason.

If you’re interested in more details about what you can and cannot lawfully do with Rocky Linux regarding section C, review 15 CFR § 744.3 and it’s definitions for the listed items. The text on the download page is what our legal counsel has advised we put there.

Really interesting stuff. Thanks for the precise reference and best of luck with Rocky !!

1 Like

Just deployed Rocky Linux 8.4 on virtual machine.:slight_smile:

I will testing deploy the Zabbix on Rocky Linux.

1 Like

Rocky 8.4 is running great on my old Centos home hobby server.
Thanks for the great work!

1 Like

Hey all, congratulations to the release! :partying_face:

I was wondering about the state of PPC support? I cannot find anything about it on bugzilla. Is this planned at all?

A PowerPC build is currently underway. Expect an official release soon!

1 Like

Great news, thanks! :upside_down_face:

Hi,

Can I build my own distribution of Rocky Linux? Please help where is the source code and give some guidelines if any.

Thanks,
Rocky

Of course! The Rocky Linux project / organization has been designed specifically for transparency and to make forking easy. Package sources are on https://git.rockylinux.org, and much of the the supporting tooling is on https://github.com/rocky-linux. The build process and infrastructure is documented at https://wiki.rockylinux.org. The only stipulations are that you cannot use the Rocky Linux name or branding in your distribution, and that you respect the relevant licenses.

How can one tell whether the installation is a RC or “final”? I have installed a VirtualBox machine RL 8.3 (which AFAIR was RC only, wasn’t it?) and after several upgrades I ended up with RL 8.4 according to /etc/rocky-release. Now I am not quite sure which release I have.

The current rocky-release RPM package is…

rocky-release-8.4-30.el8.noarch.rpm

If you run dnf update and nothing updates, you have the above package installed and you are running the latest installed kernel you are running the GA release of Rocky Linux.

Thanx for replay. I do have rocky-release-8.4-30.el8.noarch, there were three rpms with that version (gpg-keys and repos) as the solely update today.
Yet I am still confused. I installed RL 8.3 which, if I am right, was a RC. Now the Release Notes of RL 8.4 RelNotes say

Migration to Rocky Linux 8.4 is not supported from Rocky Linux 8.3 RC1, Rocky Linux 8.4 RC1, or any other release candidates.

So I wonder how was that possible. Does “not supported” mean that still one can try and maybe succeed? Should I reinstall from scratch just in case?

That statement is in the Release Notes because the RC’s were not GA releases and prior to GA we could not be sure there would not be issues with upgrades.

Rocky Linux is “community supported” through the forums and chat.

You will not be turned away because you upgraded from an RC. However, if there are unanticipated problems because you upgraded we might not be able to solve them and will recommend you reinstall. We would like to know about such issues even if we can’t solve them.

It’s your choice whether you’d prefer to start off with a fresh GA install or continue on with your upgraded system. It sounds like you’re prepared to do that so maybe that is the best choice?

I have used Rocky on ESXi 6.7 all works fine so far, Just remeber to turn Secure Boot off.

Perhaps I’m missing it in the announcements, though I’ve double-checked, but is there any ETA on when the other critical repositories like PowerTools, AppStream, and HighAvailability will be available/released? Is there a tracking page for these? Having the BaseOS is nice (and critical of course,) but without these other repos it’s impossible to convert many, if not most, systems over to Rocky. For example on one of our high availability nodes running CentOS-8 currently there are 1044 rpms installed, 160 come from AppStream, 30 come from HighAvailability, and 16 come from PowerTools, almost 20% of installed packages come from repos not currently available from Rocky.

Can someone point me to documentation on this subject, e.g. announcement, wiki, official forum post, etc.? Thanks in advance.

Look in /etc/yum.repos.d since repo files for appstream and powertools already exist. Not sure about HA since not by my server right now to check it.

EDIT:

Rocky-HighAvailability.repo also exists, so there is everything you needed.

I’m using powertools by default, also third party repositories epel and remi without issues so far.

After migration from my previous CentOS 8.4 configuration, this is my full repo list with Rocky:

[root@rocky ~]# dnf repolist --all
repo id                        repo name                                                                status
appstream                      Rocky Linux 8 - AppStream                                                enabled
appstream-debug                Rocky Linux 8 - AppStream - Source                                       disabled
appstream-source               Rocky Linux 8 - AppStream - Source                                       disabled
baseos                         Rocky Linux 8 - BaseOS                                                   enabled
baseos-debug                   Rocky Linux 8 - BaseOS - Source                                          disabled
baseos-source                  Rocky Linux 8 - BaseOS - Source                                          disabled
devel                          Rocky Linux 8 - Devel WARNING! FOR BUILDROOT AND KOJI USE                disabled
epel                           Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64                           enabled
epel-debuginfo                 Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64 - Debug                   disabled
epel-modular                   Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux Modular 8 - x86_64                   enabled
epel-modular-debuginfo         Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux Modular 8 - x86_64 - Debug           disabled
epel-modular-source            Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux Modular 8 - x86_64 - Source          disabled
epel-playground                Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 8 - Playground - x86_64              disabled
epel-playground-debuginfo      Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 8 - Playground - x86_64 - Debug      disabled
epel-playground-source         Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 8 - Playground - x86_64 - Source     disabled
epel-source                    Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64 - Source                  disabled
epel-testing                   Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 8 - Testing - x86_64                 disabled
epel-testing-debuginfo         Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 8 - Testing - x86_64 - Debug         disabled
epel-testing-modular           Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux Modular 8 - Testing - x86_64         disabled
epel-testing-modular-debuginfo Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux Modular 8 - Testing - x86_64 - Debug disabled
epel-testing-modular-source    Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux Modular 8 - Testing - x86_64 - Sourc disabled
epel-testing-source            Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux 8 - Testing - x86_64 - Source        disabled
extras                         Rocky Linux 8 - Extras                                                   enabled
ha                             Rocky Linux 8 - HighAvailability                                         disabled
ha-debug                       Rocky Linux 8 - High Availability - Source                               disabled
ha-source                      Rocky Linux 8 - High Availability - Source                               disabled
media-appstream                Rocky Linux 8 - Media - AppStream                                        disabled
media-baseos                   Rocky Linux 8 - Media - BaseOS                                           disabled
nfv                            Rocky Linux 8 - NFV                                                      disabled
plus                           Rocky Linux 8 - Plus                                                     disabled
powertools                     Rocky Linux 8 - PowerTools                                               enabled
powertools-debug               Rocky Linux 8 - PowerTools - Source                                      disabled
powertools-source              Rocky Linux 8 - PowerTools - Source                                      disabled
remi                           Remi's RPM repository for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64                    disabled
remi-debuginfo                 Remi's RPM repository for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64 - debuginfo        disabled
remi-modular                   Remi's Modular repository for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64                enabled
remi-modular-test              Remi's Modular testing repository for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64        disabled
remi-safe                      Safe Remi's RPM repository for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64               enabled
remi-safe-debuginfo            Remi's RPM repository for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64 - debuginfo        disabled
remi-test                      Remi's test RPM repository for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64               disabled
remi-test-debuginfo            Remi's test RPM repository for Enterprise Linux 8 - x86_64 - debuginfo   disabled
resilient-storage              Rocky Linux 8 - ResilientStorage                                         disabled
resilient-storage-debug        Rocky Linux 8 - Resilient Storage - Source                               disabled
resilient-storage-source       Rocky Linux 8 - Resilient Storage - Source                               disabled
rt                             Rocky Linux 8 - Realtime                                                 disabled

Hey @brian, just wanted to check in on the current status around efforts for Rocky on PPC?