Rocky 8 vs. KDE Plasma?

Hi,

Some time ago I’ve experimented with Rocky Linux 8.x and the KDE Plasma desktop from EPEL. It looked like the perfect solution for a while, until the minor release upgrade to Rocky Linux 8.6 introduced a couple of showstopping bugs. SDDM wouldn’t start anymore, and the screensaver would freeze the system. So I went to look elsewhere (namely SUSE and Debian) for a viable solution.

Have these issues been fixed yet ? I’d really like to use Rocky on my desktop clients also, but I’m a die-hard KDE user.

Cheers,

Niki

The current state of affairs is described in the last comment to this bug:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2082719

In the meantime you can use a version of qt5 with the workaround in

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2082719#c13

applied. Packages can be found here:

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs/mlampe/qt5-qtbase/

1 Like

OK. Thanks for the heads up !

Hi,

Why not using Rocky 9 KDE? https://rockylinux.org/alternative-images
It would make a perfect desktop.

2 Likes

FWIW, I just switched my two machines that have desktops from KDE Plasma to Gnome (see Local Topic.

The transition was smooth and I avoided all of these hoops – including a migration to RL 9 (which I’m not ready for yet for other reasons).

I’ve been using KDE since 2.4 on Slackware 7.1. Occasional stints on Xfce and Windowmaker. I hate GNOME with a passion.

Heh – I, too, have a long and tortured history with multiple generations of desktop packages.

I helped create the original Mac look-and-feel back in the middle 1980s, and I’ve suffered through all the GUI wars since then. It’s fair to say that I’m at least unhappy with everything since the original Mac L-and-F of the late 1980s.

I therefore feel your pain about Gnome.

I also hate wasting time arguing with my systems to make them boot and run. I support four physical computers here in our home, two of them still running Windows 10 on the iron, one of them running Windows 10 as a guest VM running on RockyLinux using VirtualBox. I am embarked on a multi-year migration away from any Microsoft desktop offering.

In addition to my home systems, I maintain multiple AWS EC2 instances that all run Linux. They were on CentOS 7 until earlier this year. Since then, I’ve migrated all of them to Rocky Linux.

I had been using CentOS distributions for as long as they existed, and was caught by surprise (like so many others) with the abrupt cancellation of CentOS 8 – that’s how I came to Rocky Linux (again, like so many others).

I only have time and headspace to keep up with a single Linux distribution, and that is Rocky Linux. Fortunately I don’t need desktops on any of the AWS EC2 instances I maintain.

I installed RockyLinux v8.5 with KDE Plasma on the physical system I use every day – likely for the same motivations as you.

Sadly, for better or worse, KDE Plasma is not in the “mainstream” RockyLinux offering. When I attempted to upgrade from v8.5 to v8.6 earlier this year, I ended up with a black screen. I have enough other things on my plate that I don’t have the inclination or time to keep KDE Plasma running. While I don’t love Gnome, I don’t love KDE Plasma either. The black screen that resulted from the attempted v8.6 upgrade is way beyond my threshold of pain.

I already spend too much of my day fighting with npm repositories, Python repositories, configuration files, insane dependency graphs, and all that stuff. I’m just not willing to find, install, and maintain all the complexity that I see on this thread (and others).

The point of my comment above is that the convenience of being able to run “dnf update” whenever updates are released far outweighs the differences between KDE Plasma and Gnome for me.

More than anything else, I want to be free from the vagaries of Microsoft. I want to maintain familiarity, competence, and “muscle-memory” with just one Linux distribution.

Gnome is good enough for me, and I value the reliable support from the Rocky Linux team far more than any differences in specific desktop software.

That’s interesting. There was a thread a while back about hating Gnome, but when the people were asked, no one was able to give a good answer as to why it’s so terrible.

Using the word “Gnome” is a bit generalist, becuase there’s GDM, plus the shell, plus classic, plus all the apps, plus d-bus that allows them to talk to each other. Then there’s GObject Introspection allowing control from multiple language bindings. Then there’s integratoin with Wayland, ability to work with GPU, and then it goes on and on and on…

I give you the only one that matters to me. Gnome is a terrible UI because it never makes any sense to me. I’ve tried it a few times. Mostly when I’ve just built a new machine and have not gotten around to installing KDE.

In all cases I have to give up in frustration because nothing works as expected. Yes, that is probably my problem, but in all this time why has the gnome folks worked so hard to make a UI that is in no way intuitive.

Recently I’ve been installing new machines from a KDE spin, so as not to go through that pain.

Back in the days, I built a minimal GNOME 2.x from source on Slackware, and got a nice clean no-bullshit desktop based on that. So I would say I know my way around on GNOME. I gave GNOME 3.0 a spin on Fedora and remember I was shocked by the crappy user experience.

Among other things, I’ve been working as an admin in our local school since 2010. It’s a 100% GNU/Linux network, with Rocky Linux on all servers and OpenSUSE/KDE on all desktop clients. It’s a no-brainer, everything JustWorks™, and I have folks like secretaries, teachers and students used to Windows 10 working on KDE every day.

I should have made a video back then when we gave CentOS 7 with GNOME a spin. I had to watch folks guess around how to do basic things like maximize a window, start an application or shut the darn thing off.

Last argument in favor of KDE is that they have some nice apps like Dolphin, Gwenview, Digikam, Okular, K3B etc.