Problem translating part of a Bash script into Ansible

Hi,

Up until recently I’ve been using a bone-headed setup.sh shell script to setup my desktop clients based on Rocky Linux 8 and a heavily customized KDE desktop.

I’ve been learning to use Ansible for some time now (with a few false starts) and I’m currently translating this script into Ansible’s way of doing things:

https://gitlab.com/kikinovak/rocky-8-ansible

In the original setup.sh script I have a replace_menus() function that loops through *.desktop files in /usr/share/applications and other places and replaces some of these with a custom version, but only if they exist in the first place.

I wonder how I could possibly translate this into Ansible code. Here’s what should happen:

1. loop through all custom desktop entries in the templates/ directory.

2. If the corresponding .desktop file exists in /usr/share/applications, then replace it with the custom version from templates/.

3. If it doesn’t exist, then don’t install the template.

In other words: install the template only if the target already exists.

Any idea how I could do that ?

Could one get a list of files that do exist in /usr/share/applications with ansible.builtin.find module – Return a list of files based on specific criteria — Ansible Documentation

Then copy those desktop entries. Perhaps with something similar to:

- name: Check if we have ssh keys for active users
    check_mode: yes
    local_action: stat path="public_keys/{{ item.name }}.pub"
    register: sshkeys_new
    loop: "{{ local_users }}"
    loop_control:
      label: "{{ item.name }}"
    when:
    - item.active | default(true) | bool

- name: Add ssh key for user
    authorized_key:
      user:    "{{ item.item.name }}"
      state:   present
      key:     "{{ lookup('file', 'public_keys/{{ item.item.name }}.pub') }}"
    with_items: "{{ sshkeys_new.results }}"
    loop_control:
      label: "{{ item.item.name }}"
    when:
    - item.stat is defined
    - item.stat.exists

The above uses list of names from local_users to check which have an entry in “templates” and then “copies” template to corresponding destination.

1 Like

One could ask what adds the *.desktop to places in the first place? Logically, that play should(?) know what it adds and do also the replace step.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.