Natron not running on rocky linux 9

I tried installing natron , a compositing software on rocky linux 9 from link. On same machine with ubuntu installed, natron has worked. So its not the machine. What am i missing here ?

Error:

[sinhurry@localhost ~]$ natron 
Natron Version 2.5
(C) 2018-2022 The Natron developers
(C) 2013-2018 INRIA and Alexandre Gauthier-Foichat
>>>Use the --help or -h option to print usage.<<<
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
Error while loading OpenGL: GLX: Failed to create context
OpenGL rendering is disabled. 
GLX: Failed to create context
GLX: Failed to create context
Qt: Session management error: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
Info: init.py script not loaded (this is not an error)
Info: initGui.py script not loaded (this is not an error)
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
X Error: GLXBadContext 158
  Extension:    152 (Uknown extension)
  Minor opcode: 6 (Unknown request)
  Resource id:  0x360003f
X Error: BadValue 2
  Minor opcode: 3 (Unknown request)
  Resource id:  0x0
X Error: GLXBadContext 158
  Minor opcode: 6 (Unknown request)
  Resource id:  0x3600051
[xcb] Unknown sequence number while processing queue
[xcb] Most likely this is a multi-threaded client and XInitThreads has not been called
[xcb] Aborting, sorry about that.
Natron: ../../src/xcb_io.c:259: poll_for_event: Assertion `!xcb_xlib_threads_sequence_lost' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)
[sinhurry@localhost ~]$

I’d start searching based on the first error. I see a lot of results searching for No matchingfbConfigs or visuals found, most of which seem to do with Nvidia drivers. Do you happen to be using Nvidia?

But I thought snapcraft was for Ubuntu? Natron do offer other installers (but I can’t see anything like rpm)

Snap is installed by default on Ubuntu. They’ve decided to go that way, rather than say flatpak. It’s not unique to Ubuntu though, since it can be installed on pretty much any distro. That’s like saying Red Hat only uses flatpak, when it can be installed on other distros. I can even install flatpak on Ubuntu as well if I don’t want to use snap.

The link from the initial post shows installing EPEL and snap packages to install Natron. It doesn’t have to be an rpm, it’s the same as for say installing an app through flatpak. That also is not an rpm.

Incidently, the OP may want to open up the Software app in Rocky and search for Natron as it’s available in flatpak. So in this case, snap is not needed. Or at least ensure flatpak is installed before searching in Software app.

If the error persists, then @brian has already suggested searching for the error that seems to hint at an Nvidia card issue if that is being used. I expect the people who created Natron might be able to explain and help with that error though - best to ask on their forums.

I had no idea it was in epel

dnf repoquery --repo "epel" --info snapd
Last metadata expiration check: 0:01:08 ago on Sat 20 Jan 2024 20:47:37 GMT.
Name         : snapd
Version      : 2.58.3
Release      : 1.el9
Architecture : x86_64
Size         : 15 M
Source       : snapd-2.58.3-1.el9.src.rpm
Repository   : epel
Summary      : A transactional software package manager
URL          : https://github.com/snapcore/snapd
License      : GPLv3
Description  : Snappy is a modern, cross-distribution, transactional package manager
             : designed for working with self-contained, immutable packages.

As many of the errors are gl related, it might be worth running this simple tool to see if opengl is working at all.
glxgears

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.