Migrate from Centos 8.5 with MPT2SAS

Hey Guys,

Finally decided to bite the bullet and move across from Centos 8.5 to Rocky.

So following some online guides i have done the complete DNF update and all appears fine. However i have an LSI controller that i previously had to do the elrepo repository for.

When i am trying to run the Rocky migrate script

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/rocky-linux/rocky-tools/main/migrate2rocky/migrate2rocky.sh

It runs through and errors out when attempting to validate upgradeable modules as per here

[root@mediastore8 ~]# bash migrate2rocky.sh -r                                  migrate2rocky - Begin logging at Thu 24 Aug 2023 10:35:47 AEST.

Removing dnf cache
Preparing to migrate CentOS Linux 8 to Rocky Linux 8.

Error: Failed to download metadata for repo 'appstream': Cannot prepare internal mirrorlist: No URLs in mirrorlist
Baseurl for appstream is invalid, setting to https://dl.rockylinux.org/vault/centos/8.5.2111/AppStream/x86_64/os/.
Error: Failed to download metadata for repo 'baseos': Cannot prepare internal mirrorlist: No URLs in mirrorlist
Baseurl for baseos is invalid, setting to https://dl.rockylinux.org/vault/centos/8.5.2111/BaseOS/x86_64/os/.
Determining repository names for CentOS Linux 8......

Found the following repositories which map from CentOS Linux 8 to Rocky Linux 8:
CentOS Linux 8  Rocky Linux 8
appstream       appstream
baseos          baseos
extras          extras

Getting system package names for CentOS Linux 8..........

Found the following system packages which map from CentOS Linux 8 to Rocky Linux 8:
CentOS Linux 8        Rocky Linux 8
centos-logos-ipa      rocky-logos-ipa
centos-backgrounds    rocky-backgrounds
centos-gpg-keys       rocky-gpg-keys
centos-logos          rocky-logos
centos-indexhtml      rocky-indexhtml
centos-linux-release  rocky-release
centos-logos-httpd    rocky-logos-httpd
centos-linux-repos    rocky-repos

Getting list of installed system packages.

We will replace the following CentOS Linux 8 packages with their Rocky Linux 8 equivalents
Packages to be Removed  Packages to be Installed
centos-backgrounds      rocky-backgrounds
centos-gpg-keys         rocky-gpg-keys
centos-logos            rocky-logos
centos-indexhtml        rocky-indexhtml
centos-linux-release    rocky-release
centos-linux-repos      rocky-repos

In addition to the above the following system packages will be removed:
centos-linux-release
centos-linux-release

Getting a list of enabled modules for the system repositories.

Excluding modules:
libselinux-python:2.8

Found the following modules to re-enable at completion:
container-tools:rhel8
javapackages-runtime:201801
llvm-toolset:rhel8
nodejs:10
perl-DBD-SQLite:1.58
perl-DBI:1.641
perl-IO-Socket-SSL:2.066
perl-libwww-perl:6.34
perl:5.26
python36:3.6
satellite-5-client:1.0
virt:rhel

Running dnf update before we attempt the migration.
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:23 ago on Thu Aug 24 10:36:14 2023.
Error:
 Problem: cannot install the best update candidate for package kmod-mpt3sas-37.101.00.00-1.el8_5.elrepo.x86_64
  - nothing provides kernel(__x86_return_thunk) = 0x5b8239ca needed by kmod-mpt3sas-42.100.00.00-2.el8_7.elrepo.x86_64
  - nothing provides kernel(_dev_info) = 0xbdc3f5dc needed by kmod-mpt3sas-42.100.00.00-2.el8_7.elrepo.x86_64
  - nothing provides kernel(_dev_err) = 0x1cba9e84 needed by kmod-mpt3sas-42.100.00.00-2.el8_7.elrepo.x86_64
  - nothing provides kernel >= 4.18.0-425.10.1.el8_7 needed by kmod-mpt3sas-42.100.00.00-2.el8_7.elrepo.x86_64
  - nothing provides kernel(dev_printk) = 0x008c88fc needed by kmod-mpt3sas-42.100.00.00-2.el8_7.elrepo.x86_64
  - nothing provides kernel(pci_find_capability) = 0x6e90426b needed by kmod-mpt3sas-42.100.00.00-2.el8_7.elrepo.x86_64
  - nothing provides kernel(__num_online_cpus) = 0xc60d0620 needed by kmod-mpt3sas-42.100.00.00-2.el8_7.elrepo.x86_64
(try to add '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages or '--nobest' to use not only best candidate packages)

Error running pre-update.  Stopping now to avoid putting the system in an
unstable state.  Please correct the issues shown here and try again.

An error occurred while we were attempting to convert your system to Rocky Linux. Your system may be unstable. Script will now exit to prevent possible damage.

A log of this installation can be found at /var/log/migrate2rocky.log
[root@mediastore8 ~]#

What is the recommended way to move forward to allow the migration to occur ?

Longer term i will be replacing the 9200 with a 9300 series so the problem may resolve itself - but that will not be for another month or so.

I have done a search on the forum and most other people seem to run into the problem after the upgrade or when going to V9 - so not sure how to tackle it pre upgrade

Craig

If I had to guess what’s happening, I think it’s trying to do a basic dnf update to make sure you’re up to the latest of 8.5 before doing anything else. What seems to be happening is that it’s trying to also pull in the latest of what’s in elrepo, which there’s nothing in 8.5 that satisfies those deps.

What you may need to do is remove kmod-mpt3sas temporarily, run the migration, and then attempt to install it again. But this is unfortunately guess work as I’ve not migrated machines with elrepo involved.

Hmm, Critical (to me) data on these drives - but they are not the bootable drives for the system just some large storage that i run

How would i remove the kmod-mpt3sas from the booting kernel ?

Craig

OK i have done the removal and am now running through the migration script.

Once finished i will upgrade to V9 and then work out what to do based on some of the other posts on here - it does appear that V9 does have support back in the kernel for these controllers from the upstream RH

Will report back

Craig

OK for future generations.

If you have the modules loaded from Elrep then you will need to remove/uninstall them

You will then find later on that the new kernel has an updated version added - BUT - it is disabled so you will then need to follow the instructions in this thread to install the new version and then update the kernel to load the correct one.

dnf config-manager --set-enabled powertools
dnf install epel-release

Then install kmod-mpt3sas

dnf --enablerepo=elrepo install kmod-mpt3sas

once this is done - refer to this post to take you the rest of the way to get the module loaded and your initram updated

https://elrepo.org/bugs/view.php?id=1252

Craig

1 Like