LibreOffice Calc crashes on Customize toolbar

Hi,

In Calc, if i go to View > Toolbars > Customize, this crashes Calc.

This seems to have been a known issue :
https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=133862

According to the bug report, the fix should have been backported to 6.4.6.

My version of Calc is 6.4.7.2.

Is there anything I can do to work-around this bug?

Thanks ahead of time…

That bug report says it only happens when editing an equation?

1 Like

Hi gerry666uk,
For me it did not happen when editing an equation.
I did a fresh install of Rocky 8.4 today and installed Calc from Software, and even with a new blank spreadsheet, I can reproduce this issue over and over.
I had also installed RL 8.4 on a test machine a couple of weeks ago and it has the same issue…

I don’t think you are supposed to install things from “Software”, in my case (on CentOS 8.x) I used DNF
dnf group install "Office Suite and Productivity"
Right now, I can open ‘calc’ and do “View:Toolsbars:Customize” without any crash, but I did notice there are multiple tabs and it tries to remember the tab.
Remember to (backup) and clear out ‘.config/libreoffice/’ in the homdir.

1 Like

@ gerry666uk,
Thanks for letting me know how you installed Calc and that you are not having issues. May I ask what version of Calc you have?
I imagine this is a bug that Libreoffice will have to or has fixed, and wonder if maybe Centos 8.x has a later version of Calc than Rocky at the moment…

Hello @RL1000

if you check this site https://pkgs.org/search/?q=libreoffice you will notice that centos 8 (notice there another centos 8 stream which you can consider the beta package for
centos ) and rocky has the same version for the libre office calc as follow

https://rockylinux.pkgs.org/8/rockylinux-appstream-x86_64/libreoffice-calc-6.4.7.2-5.el8.1.x86_64.rpm.html

https://centos.pkgs.org/8/centos-appstream-x86_64/libreoffice-calc-6.4.7.2-5.el8.x86_64.rpm.html

when i use software like office or database i recommend to use the official version as it get updated faster
so for your case here is the link to the libreoffice site Download LibreOffice | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Based on OpenOffice - Compatible with Microsoft
you can choose the language as you like

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Confirming my current version on CentOS 8.4 (originally installed on CentOS 8.0)

rpm -q libreoffice-calc
libreoffice-calc-6.4.7.2-5.el8.x86_64

Regarding using upstream (non RH) versions, you have to be careful, because your system will no longer be 100% RHEL, won’t be “supported”, might conflict with libraries, might not be secure etc. In addition to that, there’s not much point running RHEL / Rocky if you want upstream; better to run Fedora or something with latest kernel. RHEL is way out-of-date, but it’s purpose is uptime and stability.

If you’re getting a crash in libreoffice, it should be possible to inspect the crash dump, which might help identify where it’s going wrong.

1 Like

Hi @JustSomeone,
Thanks very much for taking the time to check that centos 8 and Rocky Linux have the same versions - this helps me to understand that I do not have an older version.

Hello @gerry666uk,
Thank you very much for letting me know your current version. I have the same.
I was slow on the uptake - getting old I guess :slight_smile: - but I was thinking again about your earlier post about how Software should not be used.
It made me think that maybe installing Calc on its own may be missing the installation of some dependencies.
So I uninstalled Calc using Software and then did:
dnf group install "Office Suite and Productivity"
As per your suggestion and guess what? This fixed the problem!
Thank you again for your time and attention and help with my issue - it is really appreciated :slight_smile:
I marked your earlier post as the solution.

What is this fabulous “Software”? Some GUI front-end for dnf?

A “dnf group” is a list of packages. For example:

$ dnf group info "Office Suite and Productivity"

Group: Office Suite and Productivity
 Description: A full-purpose office suite, and other productivity tools.
 Default Packages:
   libreoffice-calc
   libreoffice-draw
   libreoffice-emailmerge
   libreoffice-graphicfilter
   libreoffice-impress
   libreoffice-math
   libreoffice-writer
 Optional Packages:
   libreoffice-base
   libreoffice-ogltrans
   libreoffice-pyuno
   libreoffice-wiki-publisher

In other words, the ‘group install’ is same as install of calc, draw, emailmerge, graphicfilter, impress, math, and writer. These packages might pull in others as dependencies.

If libreoffice-calc alone does crash, then it tries to use features of another package that is not installed.

IMHO, there are two options:

• Calc should not offer functions that it does not have tools for. I.e. check if tool exists and only then offer button to run it.
  • The libreoffice-calc RPM file should list the necessary packages as dependencies so that dnf does not install it alone.

The first option requires that LibreOffice developers add such functionality.
The second option requires that Red Hat changes “spec file” that they use to build for RHEL.

you very welcome @RL1000 :slight_smile:

@jlehtone,

What is this fabulous “Software”? Some GUI front-end for dnf ?

I am using the desktop/workstation install of RL, and this version does come with Software, which is a pre-installed package. I assumed that Software came with every version of RL, and so people woud be familiar with it, but based on the posts here, I can see likely that it is not. My apologies for not making things more clear.
As a long term Fedora workstation user (who has switched to RL workstation) for personal and home use, I am used to using Software, and I am pretty sure it is a front end for dnf. It also shows installed packages, can check and install updates, etc. If I do dnf check-update, then Software will show that updates have just been checked, etc.
Not sure if it is “fabulous” though :slight_smile: sometimes it hangs, etc…

The “Software” we’re talking about is the Gnome desktop applet. The problem is would you trust what’s inside it, because my understanding of it, is that it includes things that are not supported by RH. Maybe libreoffice is identical in both Software and DNF, but who has the time to find out, and why does it suddenly work with the DNF install when it did not work from Software? Either way, I’m glad it working now.