Installation of Postfix, Dovecot and Roundcube

It means no php-mysql module has been installed. Do this:

dnf list php-mysql*

Available Packages
php-mysqlnd.x86_64

Lokks like he made a boob on that. I’ll install it.

No you didn’t, the article is the problem - it doesn’t list it. It should do though. So install it, restart apache and then it will work.

Also after server reboot, selinux should be disabled because of what was in /etc/selinux/config but run getenforce to be sure.

going to reboot now. I’ll get back wheh it’s done

Oh, we ARE having fun. Rebooted and now Firefox refuses to load I get the whirly ball, but nothing happens and it just stops

Check that apache and mysql are running on the server. The services should have been enabled to start on reboot. You can do:

systemctl status httpd
systemctl status mysql

Both running no errors

FirewallD enabled or disabled?

firewalld running, no errors

firewall-cmd --add-service=http --add-service=https --permanent
firewall-cmd --reload

just to make sure that the ports have been opened. And also run getenforce to make sure selinux is disabled as you configured it.

Message in red already enabled

And getenforce? Status of selinux please.

Generally there can only be:

1. Apache not running, but you said is running.
  2. Firewall blocked but then you said this is enabled so it’s not this.
  3. Selinux.
  4. IP of server changed.

So if apache is running, and firewall not blocking, and IP didn’t change, then selinux. If that is disabled, then you need to check why your browser can no longer connect. Try another browser, or debug with telnet to ensure you can connect to the IP of the server and port 80.

It was working before reboot, which means something is not running as it should be.

getenforce=disabled

I think you are misunderstanding the problem I WAS in the server console running Firefox before I rebooted.

After rebooting the firefoc BROWSER refuses to load. I double click on it and I get the whirly ball and then NOTHING, Firefox itself doesn’t load, so I have no browser in the server console.

The Roundcube installer is working on the Firefox browser on my Windows 10 workstation, but no Firefox on the server itself any longer.

OK, so that is a different problem entirely. That is not related to this topic, since this topic is postfix, dovecot, and roundcube.

If Firefox isn’t working, then could be a problem with your profile, so install a different browser on your server or just remove .mozilla directory from your /home/username directory on your server so that when you next run Firefox, it will create new profile and settings directory.

So at least we have solved the initial problem that this topic is about. For the Firefox problem, best open new topic, unless what I posted above helps.

FYI, Linuxbabe made another boob, as well as the mysql component

In the change service auth section he has

service auth {
    unix_listener /var/spool/postfix/private/auth {
      mode = 0600
      user = postfix
      group = postfix
    }
}

He woffles on about brackets, but if you look at the screenshot UNDER the text, it shows the CORRECT version.

I was lucky, when Dovecot failed to start, I went through all the instructions again and spotted it. The screenshot is correct, his text not.

Yeah unfortunately not all howto’s are correct or complete. Also, using howto’s for one distribution on another doesn’t work by default, and needs adapting. It’s easy enough to follow a howto for Debian/Ubuntu and adapt it for Rocky providing you change the package names being installed, and the paths for configuration files. It’s not 100% foolproof, and requires thinking a little more, and learning also during the process.

So as you found out, sometimes it’s not case of just copy/paste and hope it works. Sometimes you have to think a little and adapt it yourself. The LinuxBabe howto also misses installing php-mysqlnd package, as well as all the mysql/mariadb installation. It’s not 100% complete.

Well if someone else tries to install it all, as lomg as they find this lot, they should be OK.

It’s not finished yet, I still have to complete the installation, maybe there are more problems and I still have other questions imapsync being one, but I’ll first try to finish this and THEN start the next problem

1 Like

Oops, missed it
In the installer. Another boob
date.timezone: NOT OK(not set)

(started a new thread about frirefox)

You can edit /etc/php.ini and set date.timezone to the one you want. For example: Europe/London or Europe/Berlin obviously replace with the appropriate town/city - these are just examples.

I keep learning something new every day. It doesn’t surprise me that the average Joe will cling to Windows until they have to prise it from his dead hands. So difficult to install anything.