Installation of monitoring tools

Just finished installing Rocky 8.4 GA release in a V Box and I managed to install and configure Nagios 4.4.6 and Zabbix 5.0 . Everything is working properly.

4 Likes

Nice to know, might have to try Zabbix sometime.

I personally use CheckMK, with the appropriate check-mk-agent for monitoring. There’s a ton of plugins as well for additional application monitoring. It can also use Nagios plugins if a native CheckMK one isn’t available. I tested CheckMK 2.0.0p6 with Rocky, installs fine and works good so far.

2 Likes

Thank you iwalker for your information.
I never heard of CheckMK but I will try.

Hi
i used Zabbix a long time ago which is great , now i mainly use pandoraFMS , just give it a try , it a wonderful solution and very easy to install and manage

good luck

1 Like

Hi

I tried it long time before. I will see.

Thanks for your suggestion

1 Like

my pleasure :slightly_smiling_face:

let us know when you test it

1 Like

We had some people interested in running OpenNMS on Rocky Linux as well and we got positive feedback that OpenNMS Horizon 28+ with the RHEL/CentOS instructions work without any issues.

1 Like

This is good to hear. My shop is currently using Xymon for monitoring (and I can confirm that the xymon-client from Terabithia installs beautifully on Rocky), but we’ve been waiting for Rocky GA to begin exploring a transition to Zabbix. Glad to know @beniksh has already gotten to this, and it’s proven to work as expected!

Hello iwalker,

I was installing and configuring CheckMK v.2 with Rocky. Everything was fine, easy to install and configure.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Did anyone successefully installed nagios agent on rocky?
I get the message “Rocky is not currently supported. Please use either Red Hat, CentOS, Oracle Linux, CloudLinux, SUSE Enterprise, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, or Debian.”

I am downloading officiall NRPE agent from
https://assets.nagios.com/downloads/nagiosxi/agents/linux-nrpe-agent.tar.gz

Hello,

Did you try from Epel repository? From there seems to be ok.

All the best.

1 Like

Tried epel but then realised that I would have to do a lot of workarounds to get this working with my remote nagios server because i found errors like this when executing nrpe check from remote:
[pid 55280] execve("/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_cpu_stats.sh", ["/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_cpu_stats.sh", “-w”, “85”, “-c”, “95”], 0x562f93bdb730 / 11 vars /) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
, so i finally took official NRPE agent and added support for Rocky linux.
Now it works like a charm…

Thanks anyway.

Since we’re talking about monitoring tools, collectd from EPEL works just fine, as expected. I have it configured to report into influxdb on a central server, with grafana reporting.

Instead of being a monolith rpm the different plugins are in different packages; eg collectd-disk is needed for the “disk” plugin.

I use collectd from centos-release-opstools.

Can you please give me the steps to install nrpe agent on Rocky Linux?

Download official nrpe agent install from link in original post, unpack the tar file and then position yoursel in directory linux-nrpe-agent add issue a command:

sed -i ‘s/centos/rocky/gI’ *

This will remove tne CentOS support but you will be able to install the agent on your RockyLinux.

Alternativly you can manualy go through files get-os-info, 0-repos, 1-prereqs and 4-firewall and add lines to support RockyLinux by copying the lines for CentOS or RHEL.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.