How to reconfigure RHEL 8 Kernel

You have been recommended to use kernel-ml from elrepo, which is version 6.2.1. Is there a reason you are unable to install this kernel?

rocky/rhel kernel is still at 5.14.0-162.6.1

You are not answering what we are asking you. We are asking you if you tried to use kernel-ml from elrepo. You keep stating the version from Rocky 9 which is 5.14.0-162. You are able to install a newer kernel from elrepo at any time.

% dnf install elrepo-release
% dnf config-manager --set-enabled elrepo-kernel
% dnf install kernel-ml

And then you can freely reboot and boot into the new kernel.

I’m on 8.7 not 9. Sorry for this mix up.

Doesn’t matter. The instructions provided by @nazunalika work with el8 as well as with el9. So go ahead and install kernel-ml.

Will this work on the M1?

This may be good news for you:

“Linux 6.2: The first mainstream Linux kernel for Apple M1 chips arrives”

So, you want to give kernel-ml a try and see if that works on your mac.

Yes I read that yesterday.

To be honest I’m just working out wether to get M1 or 2019 MBP.

I’m not sure if it will work as the T2 security chip was able to work around on the 2019 but I’m guessing there’s a new level of security on the M1s.

Also the Linux 6.2 is any software even able to run in it yet I’m guessing probably not.

Please explain. What is ‘it’ in “run in it”?

Can I run and DCC software on the 6.2 kernel of Linux.

Sorry @Djdoogle123 but If you want that people help you in their spare time, then its important that you get your job done (as mentioned in this thread repetitively). May I suggest following as starting point: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

The ELRepo does offer two upstream kernels for EL: the kernel-ml and the kernel-lt.
Both are clearly different than the EL kernels that Red Hat maintains.

Lets suppose that the programs in distro do not work with different kernel.
If that is true, then why does ELRepo build those packages?

Last fall I got a new PC and installed el9 on it. Network driver in that did not work.
I did install the kernel-ml and got a fully functional PC; programs did run.
(The el9.1 fixed the distro kernel network issue, so now they run with distro kernel.)

Overall, Linux kernel emphasizes compatibility; the interface between kernel and userland does not change nilly-willy.

Entirely different hardware architecture … I have no Idea how software (kernel and userland) are bootstrapped into them. A binary built (and optimized) for Alder Lake CPU will not execute in MIPS (or 8086).

Hi sorry for the non informative reply but as you can see I’am quite over my head with information regarding all this, sorry again.