How to install a later version of emacs?

Hi I am using Rocky 8.6 and have emacs 26.1 installed.
I need to install a later version, preferably 28.
I could use flathub but the emacs version in flathub is not officially supported by emacs I dont think
I could download emacs and make but I do not understand that process, and still tried it and was told i am missing a C compiler, etc.
So I am hoping to get a later version of emacs from maybe a RHEL repo etc.
Is this possible?
Is there any other way to get a later version of emacs?
Thanks ahead of time

There are actually multiple versions of GCC (a C compiler, etc) available in Rocky. They have to be installed though.

There is a dnf group ā€œDevelopment Toolsā€. One can see defined groups with dnf --hidden group list
There are also more recent GCC and ā€œgcc toolsetsā€. See dnf list gcc-toolset\*
The latter do use Software Collection style, the scl utility, IIRC.

When you run ā€œconfigureā€ and ā€œmakeā€, do it as regular account. Configure a prefix that you can write to, so that even the ā€œmake installā€ wonā€™t require ā€˜sudoā€™.

Plan A is to take source package (*.src.rpm) from, say Fedora and run mock --rebuild name_of.src.rpm
(You have to install the ā€˜mockā€™ from EPEL first and add your regular account to group ā€˜mockā€™.)
That may or may not work, but if it does, it will give you RPM-package to install.

Rather than run mock on your machine, one can do it on Copr servers too. That yields ā€œa repo on the netā€.
Some have already done so: kiso49j/emacs-pretest Copr

However, are you absolutely certain that you need something else than the Emacs that Rocky has?

2 Likes

@jlehtone
Thank you very much for taking the time to help out and share your knowledge.
I am just a home user of Rocky Linux and so not a systems admin level person but I will go thru the steps you describe.

However, are you absolutely certain that you need something else than the Emacs that Rocky has?

I use org mode in emacs and it has a dynamic tag list generation and selection feature that does not seem to work properly in version 26.1 but does in 28.1

1 Like