Having trouble upgrading rocky 8 to rocky 9

I am having difficulties upgrading from rocky linux 8 to rocky linux 9, I managed to squash most of the problem on my own, but one problem that persists is this,

Error: Transaction test error:
  file /usr/share/redhat-logos from install of rocky-logos-90.11-1.el9.x86_64 conflicts with file from package rocky-logos-86.2-1.el8.x86_64

is there anyway to fix this? The other errors have been resolved other than this one.

You can try to run dnf distro-sync to see if it resolves the issue.

Note that major release (8 → 9) upgrades are not generally supported.

I usually do “dnf remove -y rocky-logos-86.2-1.el8.x86_64” to remove /usr/share/redhat-logos. And repeat this process for other confliction path/binary to allow newer rpms to be installed. This is from C7 to RL8 in-place upgrade experience.

Rocky 9 is entirely separate distro from Rocky 8. They do have some similarities, but it is safest to think them as unrelated.

I would not add that -y – you can type ‘y’ if the proposed transaction looks safe. With automatic “yes” you open the door for removal of unexpected dependencies. Yes, the core packages ought to have protection, but how much do you trust?

That said, yes, removal of “non-essential road-blocks” is what I would do too. They can be reinstalled afterwards. (In this case it’ll be different logo package, but even regular point update can have “unresolvable” issues.)

1 Like

thank you, I will consider that when I next try upgrading again, I decided to just stick with a fresh install of eight for now. I do appreciate the advice here, I am relatively new to rocky linux, I played around with fedora twenty years ago and things really changed since then.