Ffmpeg install error

Hello, I’m new here and I’m trying to install ffmpeg, but I’m getting this error.

Im using

sudo dnf install ffmpeg ffmpeg-devel

and it gives me

Last metadata expiration check: 0:12:29 ago on Sat 03 Jun 2023 00:06:18 BST.
Error: 
 Problem 1: problem with installed package libswresample-free-5.1.3-1.el9.x86_64
  - package ffmpeg-libs-5.1.3-1.el9.x86_64 conflicts with libswresample-free provided by libswresample-free-5.1.3-1.el9.x86_64
  - package ffmpeg-5.1.3-1.el9.x86_64 requires ffmpeg-libs(x86-64) = 5.1.3-1.el9, but none of the providers can be installed
  - conflicting requests
 Problem 2: problem with installed package libavutil-free-5.1.3-1.el9.x86_64
  - package ffmpeg-libs-5.1.3-1.el9.x86_64 conflicts with libavutil-free provided by libavutil-free-5.1.3-1.el9.x86_64
  - package ffmpeg-devel-5.1.3-1.el9.x86_64 requires ffmpeg-libs(x86-64) = 5.1.3-1.el9, but none of the providers can be installed
  - conflicting requests
(try to add '--allowerasing' to command line to replace conflicting packages or '--skip-broken' to skip uninstallable packages or '--nobest' to use not only best candidate packages)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Try removing libswresample-free and libavutil-free, and then try installing ffmpeg again.

Alternatively, you can do as it suggests with the --allowerasing parameter, so:

dnf install ffmpeg ffmpeg-devel --allowerasing

obviously review the output after this to see what it is actually going to do (in case it decides to remove a whole host of other packages as well).

Personally I prefer to manually remove the conflicts than use the allowerasing parameter, but that’s just me. In some cases, it could be a lot of hard work doing it manually, and so the parameter comes in handy, but caution is required when using it.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, works perfectly!

1 Like