Fail2ban jail not working - backend?

I’m tired of linodeusercontent attempting to hack my server. I don’t care if it’s benign or not. I’m sick of them

I created a filter in /etc/fail2ban/filter.d/linodeuser.conf

[Definition]
failregex = .*googleusercontent.*
ignoreregex =

I then created a jail,in /etc/fail2ban/jail.local

[apache-linode]
enabled = true
filter = linodeuser
logpath = /var/log/secure
maxretry = 3
bantime = -1
action = %(action_mw)s
destemail = root@localhost

Fail2ban loads, no errors all the other jails work fine, but
fail2ban-client test linodeuser gives nme an error and all I can glean ids thet the error message has something to do with the backend (which is set to auto)

Can anyone shed light?

Exactly what is the error being reported?
Which version of Rocky Linux and fail2ban are in use?

Without any of these details, the best suggestion I have is for you to change your backend setting from “auto” to “systemd” then restart the fail2ban service – that was required on CentOS 7 before things would work…

What are backends for fail2ban? Aren’t there basically two sets:

• The logs that it reads for events (systemd has journald, but the syslog is still around)
  • How firewall is updated (ruleset is in kernel, but to talk directly or to FirewallD – if directly, it should be nftables-based)

When I start the Fail2ban server, it starts fine. All the built in jails are working that are eligible most are apache For example

[apache-noscript]
enabled = true
port = http,https
logpath = %(apache_error_log)s
maxretry = 3
bantime = -1
action = %(action_mw)s
destemail = root@localhost

There is no error BUT in the logwatch log thatere are pages and pages of errors and the jail doesn’t work. I tried changing the backend to systemd by adding the line backend - systemd in that jail and it had no effect.

I’ve also picked up another problem I’d like a jail for. My Logwatch this morning showed 52 x 404 errors with files ending in .php. Yesterday was 37

I have jail for 404 errors and it’s set to 2 retries and I catch dozens, so it works for sure… All the attempts to access files ending in .php only had one single attempt. If the same people do this every day?

I doubt even a jail to stop .php errors, if they only make one attempt it won’t stop them, but it does suck up a load of bandwidth. Is there any other way to stop these idiots.

Solved it. - Missing quotes should be:

[Definition]
failregex = '.*linodeusercontent.*'<HOST>
ignoreregex =

Logpath goes in jail.local - doesn’t matter what it is as long as it’s the correct one. I used logpath = %(apache_access_log)s

I also did the same for binaryedge.ninja. Google ones are OK

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.