Dnf claims new kernel available, but not so?

Sometime starting fairly recently, dnf update runs some kind of extra check and reports to me that “you are currently running kernel x and there is an ABI compatible upgrade pending.” It then recommends a restart. It also always recommends restarting the wsdd service.

There is no kernel update pending - I am on the latest RL9.3 kernel (362.24.1.el9_3.0.1)

It looks to me like dnf is automatically running a needrestart command, but I didn’t ask for that to my knowledge. I did install the needrestart package, but I didn’t expect dnf to autorun it.

I have tried rebooting. I have tried a dnf refresh. Also, restarting wsdd doesn’t clear the message that I need to restart wsdd.

So far I’ve just been ignoring this and everything is running fine. What’s going on and how do I stop it?

A snippet from the output of needrestart -v:

[Kernel/Linux] using RPM version sorting
[Kernel/Linux] Expected linux version: 5.14.0-362.24.1.el9_3.0.1.x86_64

Pending kernel upgrade!

Running kernel version:
5.14.0-362.24.1.el9_3.0.1.x86_64

Diagnostics:
The currently running kernel has an ABI compatible upgrade pending.

You can see in the snippet that the running kernel and the expected kernel are the same.

Hi,

I’d removed the needrestart package. DNF already has this function built in:-

sudo dnf needs-restarting

It doesn’t autorun, but from the sounds of it you don’t want that anyway.

Regards Tom.

Thank you for the suggestion, Tom.

I removed the needrestart package and tried dnf needs-restarting. Got this output and don’t know how to interpret it. Do I really need to restart for the listed items?

Howard

root@server2 yum.repos.d]# dnf needs-restarting
835 : /usr/bin/gnome-shell
244 : /usr/libexec/gsd-sharing
251 : /usr/libexec/gsd-print-notifications
253 : /usr/libexec/gsd-smartcard
416 : /usr/libexec/gsd-printer
61537 : /usr/libexec/gnome-shell-calendar-server
61557 : /usr/libexec/evolution-source-registry
61605 : /usr/libexec/evolution-calendar-factory
61618 : /usr/libexec/evolution-addressbook-factory
61702 : /usr/libexec/gsd-smartcard
61716 : /usr/libexec/evolution-data-server/evolution-alarm-notify

Hi,

That would be the recommendation. I tend to only do restarts for new kernels (and possible systemd updates), unless I’m running an update to patch an application for security concerns I’d restart then too.

Regards Tom.

Ok, thank you very much.

1 Like