Configuring local repositories mirroring BaseOS, AppStream

Having a few dozen RL machines in LAN, I would like to setup a local repository mirroring (to start with) BaseOS and AppStream repos. I have found and followed this page. It is working and I am able to install individual (new) packages but an attempt to dnf update failed completely, showing dozens of messages like:

- cannot install both perl-libs-4:5.30.1-452.module+el8.5.0+690+b6cd1280.x86_64 and perl-libs-4:5.26.3-420.el8.x86_64
- package perl-interpreter-4:5.30.1-452.module+el8.5.0+690+b6cd1280.x86_64 requires perl(:MODULE_COMPAT_5.30.1), but none of the providers can be installed
- package nginx-1:1.21.4-1.module_el8+13280+3abe831f.x86_64 is filtered out by modular filtering

It seems that it is module packages in appstream that cause these problems. Some of them are duplicates of non-module packages with different version numbers.
Compare:

# dnf list perl-libs
Last metadata expiration check: 0:00:05 ago on Tue 30 Nov 2021 09:37:11 PM CET.
Installed Packages
perl-libs.x86_64                4:5.26.3-420.el8            baseos
Available Packages
perl-libs.i686                  4:5.26.3-420.el8            baseos         

and

# dnf --disablerepo=appstream --enablerepo=localrepo-appstream list perl-libs
RockyLinux Base                                  66 kB/s | 3.0 kB     00:00    
Installed Packages
perl-libs.x86_64  4:5.26.3-420.el8                           baseos
Available Packages
perl-libs.i686    4:5.26.3-420.el8                           baseos             
perl-libs.x86_64  4:5.30.1-452.module+el8.5.0+690+b6cd1280   localrepo-appstream

I know close to nothing about modules so any hints would be welcome.

Reading the link, they run createrepo after doing a reposync. I would suggest not doing this, as it will remove module metadata and comps metadata. I would run these by itself (without createrepo) and try again:

dnf reposync -g --delete -p /path/to/baseos --download-metadata --repoid=baseos
dnf reposync -g --delete -p /path/to/appstream --download-metadata --repoid=appstream
dnf reposync -g --delete -p /path/to/powertools --download-metadata --repoid=powertools

I run plain rsync (from nearest mirror, on EL7 host). It does not attempt to do anything “smart” with the contents.

Thanks @nazunalika for the hint. I rebuilded the local repos without the createrepo steps and it seems to be working fine. I was able to update one of my 8.4 servers to 8.5 using that repo located on another server in my LAN.

I want to keep the original DVD (ISO) contents ‘intact’ (with the original repodata, comps*xml and metadata), so I create 2 additional YUM repos (some call them ‘dnf’) within the ‘updates’ and ‘appstream-updates’ directories (within each, are distribution-specific sub-directories, such as “centos-7.5-x86_64” and “rocky-8.4-x86_64”) and after ‘replicating’ (or unpacking) the original ISO to the “kickstart” directory ‘tree’, replicate all of the packages to the YUM directories, and execute “creatrepo” to create the ‘repodata’ sub-directory and meta contents ‘there’…

So that, I have the original ISO package contents within the “Kickstart” directory tree (containing the original “os” and “appstream” repos, and a copy, along with any updates from the ‘mirrors’(via reposync) in the YUM ‘updates’ and ‘appstream-updates’ directory trees (which are referenced during both initial installation and YUM updates) .

It keeps the original comps*xml file intact (with the vendor package groups and categories) and permits me to have a custom ‘comps’ file as well, with ‘my’ group definitions (ie. “KDE-desktop-that-works”).

It’s a grand waste of disk space, but functions well…

You do know that online BaseOS and AppStream (I did not check the Powertools) have both ‘os’ and ‘kickstart’ subtrees (with ‘os’ including the updates)?

1 Like

Can you be more ‘specific’ ?

I do ‘not’ use the ‘online’ repositories (only local repos, sync’d from them).

Note how Index of /pub/rocky/8.5/ (and its mirrors) have
{BaseOS,AppStream,PowerTools,extras}/$arch/{kickstart,os} ?
(Well, the ‘extras’ has only the ‘os’.)

The */$arch/os are the “online repositories” that default config does use.
The */$arch/kickstart are the “initial release”, essentially what the ISOs contain.

If I would like to have the “original contents” locally, then I would

1. rsync the */$arch/kickstart from online once, after release of point update
  2. Locally sync */kickstart tree to */os tree
  3. Periodically resync (with rsync) */os tree from online to get updates
  4. Define the local */os in my systems, (‘my-baseos’, ‘my-appstream’, ‘my-powertools’, ‘my-extras’)
  5. Disable the online repos (‘baseos’, ‘appstream’, ‘extras’) in config

In other words, practically same routine as yours, with couple name/tool differences.

Since my primary webserver isn’t Rocky (or even CentOS) 8 I use rsync to create my local repos. I’ve documented (and provided scripts) here: GitHub - sweharris/centos8-local: How I build CentOS 8 VMs locally

I updated the scripts for Rocky-8 a couple of days ago, and was successfully able to hands-free virt-install from the tree using the provided kickstart file.

Obviously this is tuned to my setup, but may help others!

1 Like

I seeeeeee…

Yes, that would work nicely, keeping the ‘initial’ release intact, and directing all of the ‘updates’ to a customizable (‘my’ comps file) local repository.

I don’t remember such a ‘granular’ directory tree existing when Rocky was originally released (ver 8.3)

Thanks !

1 Like