Community Update - December 2020

Our choice of registering in Delaware has nothing to do with wanting to somehow hide officer names from the community, or conceal financial statements. There are many advantages of incorporating in Delaware. You can read about some of those here: https://www.upcounsel.com/why-incorporate-in-delaware

We’re pretty open about who is part of the Rocky Linux Foundation, you can even see all of our LinkedIn profiles linked on the wiki. As for financials, at present we have none. We don’t have a product to sell. It’s an open source effort run by volunteers. We will be using donations to help offset operational costs, which are presently being funded by individual contributions.

Also, non-profits can be searched publicly on the IRS website: https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/tax-exempt-organization-search

Non-profit status enforces financial transparency.
Rocky won’t be there until after filing taxes.

2 Likes

Thank you for translating that for us!

It looks like 501(c)(3) is incorrectly formatted as 501©3.

2 Likes

Thanks for that, I’ve edited the post to reflect the correct format. The markdown engine that Discourse uses seems to automatically format (​c) as (c).

A neat workaround I discovered was pasting a zero-width space between ( and c, and then deleting it.

1 Like

It would be nice with an explicit description of which steps are taken to make sure that a corporate takeover or similar cannot happen (again).

Is there any problem to release Rocky Linux in China ? As soon as it’s a free and open software, it shouldn’t be a problem

Good question. Our build platform is going to be in AWS. In AWS there are commercial regions such as us-east-1, eu-west-1, etc., and there are ‘closed’ regions that don’t have any access to commercial. GovCloud and China are two such regions. So what we’re saying is that we intend to not only deploy Rocky to the standard commercial regions, but to GovCloud for our ITAR friends and to China for those folks over there.

Do you plan to self-manage it or work with a third-party foundation/compagny ?

What are you referring to?

AWS is available in China, so I probably misunderstood what you meant by “commercial regions”. I thought you wanted to use another web service by working with a company in China

Nope. We’ll be using AWS in China, it just takes committing to deploying there because otherwise what you deploy in any of the standard (commercial) regions won’t be replicated to China, as it’s isolated.

2 Likes

Thanks for the status update, looks great so far and thanks for starting this project

2 Likes

Wonderful
I could not wait to share the journey with Rockylinux.

Thank you for the great update!!..We would love to see Rocky Linux becoming first and farmost the best freely available enterprice OS even much better than CentOS, Perhaps surpassing the RHEL!!
#iSupportRockyLinuxFoundation.
Many Thanks!!

1 Like

Who can I speak to about sponsorship in the form of communication, marketing, PR/media relations and UX support?

Hey @dawid, welcome! We’ll be in touch, thanks.

1 Like

希望在中国早日见到rockylinux,加油

Has the actual package build started?

No. We will be communicating more precise timelines in our next community update (early next week), but our build infrastructure is slated to be in place by the end of January.