Understanding the command line management landscape differences

Coming over from years of working on CentOS 5/6/7. And a Unix heritage that is best described as BSD, SunOS and Solaris.

I’ve been wondering where the NTP daemon went. I just discovered “chronyd”. So I think I have the answer for my first need.

Building new virtuals from a Rocky Linux 8.5 minimal install and adding packages.

Been using yum and its subcommands to handle package management. Not really familiar with dnf, but it also seems to be linked to yum, so maybe I need to learn more about dnf to get into the mainstream thought process here?

The main problem and my second need is that despite installing a number of packages for ImageMagick and other things named php-, Wordpress is still not finding ImageMagick support despite having the ImageMagick packages installed.

I am currently trying to find the proper .ini file for the PHP extension for ImageMagick. Apparently it has a name similar to 20-imagick.ini and should install in /etc/php.d?

Or maybe what I should be asking is what package have I forgotten?

To answer the question, what am I trying to do- I want to resolve the modules that Wordpress’ site health tool reports on in the Media Handling category. I’ve resolved all the other ones except ImageMagick by adding the package named php-. The modules being gd, zip and intl.

Another habit that is coming up with questions about where to look for details, is about /var/log, the defacto place for system logs. If a grep in here doesn’t produce the details, it seems I can get them from “journalctl -xe”?
to find system logs that I can’t find a presence in /var/log for.

Most of the php extension which are not available in OS application streams can be install by pecl.

Like we are getting our required extesions like that

yum module enable php:7.4
yum distro-sync
yum module install php:7.4/devel

yum install php-gd php-intl php-bcmath php-soap php-opcache php-pdo php-pecl-zip php-mysqlnd php-ldap php-fpm httpd mod_ssl

pecl install igbinary igbinary-devel redis

pecl install msgpack
pecl install oci8-2.2.0
pecl install solr

If you want the old logs back then you can install “rsyslog”. It will extract the information from the journal files into the familiar files we are accustom to in /var/log. Extracting system information with journalctl can be very handy though given the depth of filtering you can apply with the tool.

For PHP, we’ve been using Remi’s repo: https://rpms.remirepo.net/

The packages are well-tested and maintained, with versions 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 8.0 and 8.1 available as dnf modules. See here for v8.0 installation guide.

Works fine with WordPress 5.9 on Rocky 8.5. WordPress now lists PHP 7.4 as minimum, so you’ll want to get something later than the PHP 7.2 in the Rocky appstream.