Configuration Management Options

Is this setup all in CentOS 7 or 8? I know there was a project with some RPM focus, but he never produced EL8 RPM’s.

My production one is 7 for app and 8 for db. I’ll see tonight if/how much works fully on 8.

I would like to see that. :slight_smile: I have had to fall back on the container install for AWX previously.

I would stick to Ansible, it is a Red Hat product and for those that teach RHEL courses can serve two purposes, show a free alternative to RHEL and show ansible. Any chance I got when teaching to show a community based project versus a paid product I would even if that was RHEL itself. I always pushed CentOS for learning and use if RHEL wasn’t mandated for some reason.

1 Like

You can’t really cut down on truly open source projects especially if they have rather large communities, I think this project (Rocky) is a testament to that. As long as the source is available and there’s an active community to support and use it, it will keep moving. I think the threat isn’t these companies “cutting back” but getting more involved in trying to push a project to go the way that benefits them, instead of the community at large. If IBM steps away from open source communities I don’t think there will be substantial harm if anything in some cases it would be better.

2 Likes

Hi! my 2 cents here. Ansible could be used for a configuration management and infrastructure provisioning , looks like it’s already decided. There are still some areas which could be covered by other tools. Say, people would want to run transition utilities that would change from CentOS to Rocky Linux. I’d suggest https://sparrowhub.io tooling repository as a solution for that. Feedback is welcome …

For deployments into AWS then Terraform + Packer + CI/CD are very powerful tools. Ansible is great for configuration management of servers, but for cloud resources Terraform gets my vote.

1 Like

This is actually already something we’ve got in the pipeline for Rocky’s release (or at least the repos going live). I believe there’s another forum topic for the transition tooling? But I’m not so sure that comes under the CM umbrella.

1 Like