CentOS to Rocky migration tooling

Maybe a stupid question, but would this be doable with CentOS Stream → Rocky? :crossed_fingers:

I already converted most of my machines to Stream as a stopgap measure before knowing about that a bug-to-bug compatible RHEL-like project was taking place.

2 Likes

This is page with migration steps from C8 to Alma Linux:
The Unofficial Way To Migrate To AlmaLinux From CentOS 8 - OSTechNix
I think the same page should be prepared when Rocky will be in beta stage.
I think for most admins it will be enough to do smooth transition
br
g

1 Like

I had this issue with OL 8.3, but it seemed that it came down to building the bootable USB with Rufus. I switched over to using Balena Etcher after seeing it referenced in an Oracle article.

After that I had a USB which did boot and recognize video, though the card in question here was an nVidia card, not an AMD.

Try that and see if it helps your problem.

Stream has packages that will be ahead of RL 8 so you’ll have to work through a dependency hell to get it working.

I ran a script on a Nutanix uEFI VM to convert a CentOS8 to Alma. When rebooting it will not boot, does not see drive. So that may be something to consider with the tooling from Rocky.

When I try to migrate with migrate2rocky script I get :
“Migration from Katello-modified systems is not supported by migrate2rocky.”
I would like to know if there will be a support of katello-modified systems in the future ?
Is there any other way to get by ?
Thanks to the team for the accomplished job :slight_smile:

Greetings Obie,
Welcome to the Rocky forums!

From the migrate2rocky README:

Any distribution that has had its core repositories altered, removed, duplicated or overridden may cause migrate2rocky to break or corrupt the system when run. Any attempt to migrate such systems, even after reversing the changes made by such software, is not supported in any way. In all cases you should backup your system before using migrate2rocky and USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
This especially happens on systems configured with a centralized package management like Katello (RedHat Satellite 6) or Uyuni (RedHat Satellite 5, SUSE Manager).

I don’t think the script will ever support Katello conversions due to some of the complexities involved. IF you can rebuild that would probably be best, however, I know that can be very challenging to do. Just make sure you have a good backup (or if it is a VM run a snapshot first!) if you do try to manually run the script.

Hope that helps.
~Stack~

1 Like

Hi,

I’ve tried to install katello on a rocky8 system and found that it works with a minor workaround.

mkdir tmp
cd tmp
curl -O http://mirror.centos.org/centos/8/extras/x86_64/os/Packages/centos-release-ansible-29-1-2.el8.noarch.rpm
rpm2cpio centos-release-ansible-29-1-2.el8.noarch.rpm | cpio -dvi
cp etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-SIG-ansible-29.repo /etc/yum.repos.d/
cd /etc/pki/rpm-gpg
curl -O https://www.centos.org/keys/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-SIG-ConfigManagement

however,
Considering the fact that most of the katello devs are RedHat they will most likely switch to centos8stream somewhere in the future (and centos9stream after that).
Also considering that katello is a really complex and hard to maintain on multiple distributions I wouldn’t be surprised that once it moves to centos8stream it will stop functioning properly on rocky8/centos8.
In my experience it was hard enough to keep it working on centos7.

I ran into many bugs/issues which required ruby-gems that weren’t yet available in the ‘official’ centos7 katello repos.

I expect this problem will get worse once they start to move to centos8stream.

Rob

2 Likes